Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

This post will be kinda long. Hope you guys (and girls) are OK with this. Don't worry, I've got some interesting topics (rants & raves alike). :)

The car I used to drive was a Philippine Domestic Model 2000 Civic SiR with a 1.6-liter B16. I added 4-2-1 headers before I sold it. Best darned Peso 3,500 (US$65) I spent. Added low-end torque with no loss at the high-rpm range.

Now I drive a Philippine Domestic Model 2004 Civic VTi-S Sedan with a 1.6-liter 3-stage VTEC engine and Manual Transmission. In the USA, the equivalent would be the EX-model but with a 3-stage VTEC engine.

Anyway, here are some things I noticed about the 2004 Civic Sedan. I wonder if any of you can confirm any of these.

1. Different Starter. The old SiR used to emit a sweet, high-pitched whine when starting. Starting this new VTi-S reminds me of how an old 1.5-liter non-VTEC Civic used to sound. Why?

2. Not-so-good gear ratios. If I shift at redline, I could go beyond 105kmh (65mph) in second gear on the old SiR. Any 96-00 Civic, VTEC or not, could do this as the rev-limiter cuts in abit late, a little past 7,000rpm. Not so on the new VTi-S. On second gear, the rev-limiter cuts in at exactly 6,800rpm when the car is at around 96kmh (60mph). So if I race against a 96-00 Civic, they overtake me by around 2 car lengths at the 2nd-to-3rd gear transition. Not very fun, huh?

3. Much brighter headlights. Compared to any 96-00 Civic with stock bulbs, the 2004 Civic headlights rocks! The separate high and low beams throw a clear (albeit yellow) beam far in front of you. The standard foglights on the VTi-S also throw a very wide beam to the far left and right of the car, which sure helps when turning on dark streets.

4. Not-so-good gear ratios (part 2). On any old 96-00 Civic, VTEC or not, 100kmh (62mph) at 5th gear is at around 2,600rpm. On this new VTi-S, its at a high 3,000rpm! Talk about needing a 6th gear! So much for saving fuel by staying at the higher gears. Why did Honda make the gear ratios like this? Or is this just common with Asian models? For USDM Civics, at 60mph and at 5th gear, what does it show on the tachometer?

5. Female-friendly vanity mirrors. The new 2004 Civic has vanity mirrors on both driver's and passenger's side sunshades. The older civic did not. Actually, my male friends (myself included) love it alot! With the brighter maplights pointing at your face, it enables very close zit inspection.

6. Transmission shows some cost-cutting measures. The transmission of my old SiR was very sweet. Short-shifting and I never missed a shift even if I was in a hurry. The clutch was very light, too. With this new VTi-S, the clutch is twice as heavy and the transmission shifts are much longer. Also, the gates are a bit tighter and feels more "plasticky" so if I'm in a hurry to shift, I tend to miss some gears. Why is this? Any similar experiences?

7. Cost-cutted Driver's Seat. The 96-00 Civics had driver's seats that had two height-adjustment knobs. You could raise and lower the "ass" part independently from the "thigh" part. I never had back fatigue with this seat. With this new 2004 VTi-S, there is only one height adjustment! I could never find a comfortable driving posture. Stepping on the (heavy) clutch put pressure on the under-side of my left thigh, right under the knee. Over time, this gets very tiring and irritating. I had to sit on a thick towel to improve things. Adjusting the seat forward did not improve the situation as I was now too close to the steering wheel. Finally I asked a nearby seat-cover shop to sew together a seat cover that fit my bum perfectly. What a hassle, though.

8. Quirky ABS. We have a lot of roads with potholes and humps. If I see the hump, I gently brake to slow the car down. Then I can go over the hump nicely. But if I don't see the hump and I brake just as the front tires go over the hump, ABS cuts in and pulses the brakes for around a second as the front tires go down the hump. Isn't ABS only supposed to cut in if the tires start skidding? I believe the front tires never lost contact . Oh and this happens at a slow speed of 20kmh or less on smooth asphalt roads! I can't ever remember an ABS-equipped car behaving like this when going down a hump... Why does this happen? Is there some adjustment I can make to the ABS sensors?

Anyway 'nuff said. What do all of you think? Any comments? Thanks in advance! :)

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
my 99 ex coupe has a mirror on both visors. I wonder why yours didn't.

I haven't driven a new civic. but I love the looks. much better than 01-03

·
Registered
Civic
1,281 Posts
i dont much like the looks of the 01-05 civics, maybe im stuck in the old school but i find the 92-00 Civics much more eye apealing

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your ABS issue is just a more sensitive ABS computer, my old prelude used to do that too, but my friends didn't. (same year/model)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts