Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick history of how I ended up with my current project. I had a co-worker, whose son had developed epilepsy and had to sell his 02 EM2 Coupe. Here is the caveat I have never built out a Honda engine of any type, and ended up with an extra engine out of the deal. I ended up with a JDM D15B 3 Stage Vtec out of a 99 Del Sol Si. The transmnission that was married to the block is already married to the D17A2 which has 194k on it. Current engine was rebuilt less than 10k ago so I am not pressed for time when it comes to putting the built out D15B under the hood. Yes I know about the P28 ECU so I can chip it out and I do know about building out a mini me. Personally I would love to keep it a D15B block with the D15B Three stage head. I use this car as a daily driver and commute over 120 miles a day. Any advice to keep this little engine NA and over 170 hp would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I would ignore the power goal for now and focus on getting it running correctly instead.

You have wiring to do beforehand to get the car running, and wiring it up so the chassis can ignore the immobilizer that is built into the stock d17 ecu and integrates with the key switch.

It may be as easy as using the P28 to operate the fuel pump relay, but I personally am not sure.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
34 Posts
You can pull the antenna off the ignition switch and tape your transponder key inside it, then tuck that in under the plastic to defeat the immobilizer if the obd2-obd1 conversion dosent solve that particular issue. As far as 170 hp goes on the d15b head... going to be rough, might take head milling to bump compression, (not sure how many piston options there are for the long rod 1.5 bottom end) check out zealautowerks d series compression calculator for that info. If milling is needed you WILL need an adjustable cam gear, head porting, manifold port matching, possibly swapping to z6 manifold, i/h/e, and tuning MIGHT get you to 170, but you may also need to contact crower or webb for a custom cam grind, not sure if you could just swap in a z6 or y8 cam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts