Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX which had the D17A2 Engine with a rod knock. So me and a buddy grabbed a Engine from the local junkyard. It happened to be the D17A1 Block from a LX. After reading a bunch of the forums it appeared that as long as we kept the Head from my EX (VTec) and since my ECU is a EX (VTec) it would work. So we got a D17A1 Block with my D17A2 Head back in the car, everything is hooked back up. Were getting the engine to crank but not start. We checked fuel lines and fuel is pumping to it. When we try to start it after theres a bunch of clicking on the passenger side which i assume is probably the computer. We tried pulling the ECU fuse to reset the computer along with most fuses under the hood. Before the swap the car started fine just had a terrible knock. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a compression test which tested to 180 psi so i think thats pretty good

i got a Spark tester and tested the coils and got no spark which i mean we all kinda assumed that here that it was a spark issue but i tried some different coils still no spark

Grounds look good

anyone know how to properly test a relay?
Thanks

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,877 Posts
if your grounds arnt hooked up a spark tester may not work depending where you ground the tester or the plug.. see if the longest plug wire will reach your - battery post and just leave the plug in the wire and ground the thread area

but the car turns over so i dont tihink its the grounds anyway.

ill bet its the crank sensor or cam sensor though..spark is based off of the readings from those sensors

·
Registered
civic
142 Posts
It's a d17 coil on plug set up. Check grounds, if there are good then check for crank and cam sensor, the PCM has to see both, if not then it will not have spark

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
there are a group of 3 ground wires together on an eye lit on the left hand side of the motor they ground the ignition system if they are not there then the coils will not fire also check and make sure you have the crank sensor and the cam sensor plugged in the cam sensor is a pain to get plugged in so make sure its plugged in I just got done doing rebuilding the head and trans on my 01 civic the car will crank but wont fire if the grounds are not hooked up and you will get no spark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts