Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX that I recently blew the engine (D17A1). I bought a D17A (SOHC VTEC) from a japanese importer down in Orlando. The D17A came with the ECU and wiring harness which I used. When I finished the swap, the car will not run on the D17A ECU due to the immobilizer. I hooked up the D17A1 ECU and drove the car to the Honda dealership to get the D17A ECU programmed. The Honda dealership could not program the immobilizer to work with the D17A ECU. Said it was due to the wiring harness in the car is different running from the ECU to the immobilzier. I have searched the internet to figure out what people normally do to get around this and I haven't had much luck.

Solutions I've found:
1) Buy a VAFC2 and piggyback off the D17A1 computer. I don't want to do this because you're piggybacking off the baseline lx maps. Also, I'm throwing a check engine light due to the D17A only having 1 O2 sensor where as the D17A1 has two

2) I've seen people that do the D17A2 headswap on the D17A1 and just use the D17A2 engine harness and ECU. However I'm not sure why they aren't running into the same problem as I am with the immobilizer and the ECU not able to talk to each other and be programmed by Honda. Can I just go to the junkyard and get a D17A2 engine harness and ECU and then Honda will be able to program it? Does anyone know what the differences are between the D17A2 and the D17A??

For right now I'm driving the car with the D17A1 computer....

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can bypass the immobilizer, they aren't cheap but its a lot less work plus you save the cost of reprograming the D17A2 ecu.

K-Tuned Immobilizer/Multiplexor Bypass | KID-001 | Wire Harnesses | K-Series Engine | K Series Parts (this used to be RSX parts or something like that, they price match so look around to find a lower price and have them price match).
Thanks!!, I had not seen that before. Looking through the instructions, it does not specifically call out the PSA series ECU that came with the D17A. I emailed K-Tuned to see if it will still work or not.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
One thing I didn't think about till now is I thought JDM ecu's didn't have an immobilizer?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,946 Posts
since this is from 2013, Ill throw you a bone noob. yes, Honda can reflash your shit to fix the immobilizer issue.

Took the car to Honda today to get the immobilizer flashed. After quite a while they came back and told me I had the wrong computer. I bought a 'Jdm Honda Civic 01-05 D17a Sohc Automatic Vtec Ecu 37820-psa-j52'. I guess the JDM version doesn't work here.

Anyways, I can get my hand on a Honda Civic 01-05 Automatic EX version ($75). Do you think that would work?

Honda said they can't give advice on the wires, and didn't have a book for me to go through while I waited... real nice.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-gen/303138-wiring-help-d17a-2.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts