Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post on Honda tech but we all know how that forum is 90% b and k series so I figured I'd share on here for anyone interested. I've been into hondas since about 2008, started a tuning business in pnw in 2010 and I've been tuning for a living since then. I currently have a 90 crx that's awd converted with a turbo b20 vtec I just built making right around 400whp. This insight build is going to be my main daily driver, nothing too crazy. I would like to autocross the car as well.

The car is a 2000 Honda Insight, 5 speed manual that will be receiving the "D" lol. As it sits right now it weighs in at 1750lbs with a half tank of gas, full interior, a 8" sub in a tube in the trunk and still has some of the ima electronics in the trunk that will be deleted when swapped. With the 1.0l 3 cylinder in it it puts down 55whp and 56 ft lbs of torque at the tire lol. Even with this gutless motor the car is still fun to drive and I've been able to get as good as 80mpg over a hundred mile stretch on the freeway. In town o average between 48 and 55mpg depending on driving habits and length of trips

What I have planned for the motor:
-shortblock: d16z6 bored to 76mm with a d17a1 crank rods and pistons, decked .020" to achieve 10.6 to 1 comp with a standard 3 layer headgasket on a y8 head. It will have arp rod bolts. All new bearings and seals. Nothing too special but should provide good torque needed for a daily driver.

-cylinder head: I put a good amount of time into porting a d16y8 head. I deleted the valve guides and protrusions into the ports. Got rid of the big step and shallow bowl on the right intake valve port on each port. I also dimpeled the long turn radius to help aid with atomization. I was originally planning on running a big regrind cam until I came across a d15b 3 stage vtec head on offer up. I was able to get the head shipped to me from New Jersey and after it arrived I realized the d15b head and y8 head were almost identical besides the machined oil passage for the first vtec stage. I drilled this hole out myself and fit the d15b cam, rocker assembly and dual vtec solenoid to my y8 head.

Induction: due to lack of clearance with my insight bay I thought it would be best to retain a stock y8 intake manifold but I wanted it to preform better then stock so I bored the opening to about 62mm and fit a 60mm b series throttle body on it. I also cut the intake manifold apart and ported it. The biggest flaw I saw on the stock y8 manifold was the huge protrusion into the runner for cylinder 4 for the iacv bolts. I reduced it down as much as I could and had the through hole welded up before having the top welded back on.

Header: I have both a 1320 uel header and a dc sports 4-2-1 header to test and see which works best for this engine. I wasn't a big fan of the uel header but I got it from a customer that had it on a d15b7 that felt very healthy to me so it is worth a shot and I like the uniqueness of it as well.

Transmission: I have 3 transmissions at the moment that I acquired all for just about free. I plan on running a cx transmission to start with since the gearing is very close to what the stock insight 5 speed is. I also have a ek dx trans, I'll probably give this to my brother in law because he has a cx trans in his ex coupe and would benifit from shorter gears and my third trans is a ex y8 tranny i have fit a phantom grip lsd into the diff, I welded the diff pin in so it can't come out. I would like to replace the imput shaft bearing as well as fit a cx 3rd as a 4th gear.

At the moment I'm waiting on the machine shop to finish the block up so I can assemble it after gapping the rings and checking bearing clearances.

I will be using neptune to tune it and control the first vtec stage. I think this engine will make good power 140/120 is my goal while being able to achieve killer gas milage still.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm Currently in the process of building one of these my self with the exceptions of a few things. I'm going to add a turbo in the quest for low end tq. Goal is 150lbs before 2.5k Rpm. The turbo I have pick out is a T28 DBB and Billet intake wheel. .63 Ar exhaust housing. I have a Sk2 intake manifold along with 60mm TB everything port matched. The head is going to be JDM d15b p08 casting ported with new valves spring retainers and maybe a small cam if nessassary. If i can make 150tq by 2500 and 250HP before 7K then will be very happy with the results i think.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sorry for the delayed update guys. Been tuning a ton this summer but I was able to get the single cam swap into my insight. I have had
Many gremlins along the way but they are
Most of the way worked out now. Believe it or not the wiring was about the easiest part of the swap. I ran a ek harness with a obd2a to obd1 jumper, ecu plug a from the insight chassis plugged right in, only had to move the pin for the fuel pump relay over one pin from a15 to a16 if my memory serves me right. Building the mounts was a challenge not to fit the motor but to get the axle angles correct to where there’s no bind or vibrations. I’ll give you guys a quick run down of the setup that is currently in it as of right now.

D16z6 bored to 76mm with d17a1 eBay rep pistons. D17 crank, rods and arp rod bolts. D17 pan, pickup and oil pump. B20 crank pulley shaved down to a 2 row.

Cylinder head is a z6 I ported and installed some crower single valve springs on stock retainers and new super tech valve stem seals.
Intake manifold is a ported y8 with a itr rep 62mm throttle body. Injectors are from a 2006 cbr 1000 rr, they are 320cc and 12 hole Delphi injectors much newer style then Honda disc type. Current header is a dc sports 4-2-1 but I will be putting a b series tri-y on it when it comes in and I mod it to fit. Exhaust is home made 2.25” with a 2.5” high flow cat.

Tranny is currently y8 with phantom grip lsd. I have a spare y8 trans with zc3rd, vx 3rd as 4th and y8 5th.

The car scales at 1750lbs with a half tank, full interior, power everything, power steering and I plan on putting ac back in it this winter when work slows down during the rainy season.

This video is with a stock z6 cam. Engine just got a comp 59500 cam today and it picked up a ton of top end power. Feels great all around. I have a much more in depth build thread in the all motor section on honda-tech as well for those interested

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-VWP4eMRI

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s all aluminum with fiberglass fenders. Every detail about the car is designed to be light from the factory for optimal fuel economy. Plus I was able to drop about 100-150lbs from deleting the integrated motor assist hybrid stuff. The chassis is really awesome. In the driver seat it feels allot like a modern Crx and its extremely rigid in the corners. On street tires I’m able to lift the inside rear tire in hard slow speed corners. It will over steer before it understeers, usually if lifting on the throttle during a corner. I bought the car as a commuter because I do allot of mobile tuning sometimes up to 5 hours away but I really fell in love with the car after I lowered it and saw its Handling potential.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
495 Posts
It’s all aluminum with fiberglass fenders. Every detail about the car is designed to be light from the factory for optimal fuel economy. Plus I was able to drop about 100-150lbs from deleting the integrated motor assist hybrid stuff. The chassis is really awesome. In the driver seat it feels allot like a modern Crx and its extremely rigid in the corners. On street tires I’m able to lift the inside rear tire in hard slow speed corners. It will over steer before it understeers, usually if lifting on the throttle during a corner. I bought the car as a commuter because I do allot of mobile tuning sometimes up to 5 hours away but I really fell in love with the car after I lowered it and saw its Handling potential.

Yeah it blows my mind. I met a couple of folks who brought 2 Insights to a car meet a little while back and they were showing me through it. Everything just looks so damn lightweight. Even when you open the bonnet and you can see the road behind the strut towers haha. Awesome chassis, and perfect for a swap. Would love to drive one one day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man that black one is clean. I wonder what headlights those are on it. And I actually bought a wrecked 06 Insight dirt cheap years ago probably around 2010 to part out. As I took the car apart I grew more and more intrigued by it. Even the bolts used on the 06 were considerably lighter then any other Honda bolts I’ve seen. I ended up picking up this car for $1400 due to a bad ima battery and I’m really happy I did. I’m
Planning on auto crossing it mid next month so i gotta make sure I workout any of the issues it has before then.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
495 Posts
The black one was super tidy.

The grey one had just been bought actually, it'd been up for sale for cheap and the guy who bought it was telling me how he works for a company that's contracted to assist with GM's electric vehicle programs... Very cool, and i reckon it has a promising future.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dyno the d17 with z6 head and comp 59500 cam. Made 152whp and about 124ftlbs. Same dyno stock b20v’s put down 147-148whp. Car scoots, needs some 225/50/14 r888’s next as it spins all of first and second with a y8 trans and phantom grip lsd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts