Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was throwing a code that Advance Auto told my wife was a torque converter clutch solenoid. I have looked, and found all kinds of info for a 2001 civic but can't find anything for a 2000. Then O'Riley auto parts tells me I need a transmission lock up switch. So question for the night (until I can get the actual code tomorrow) does the 2000 civic even have a torque converter clutch solenoid? I would think yes, but I can't find anything on said part for a 2000 only 01+. This is all for an automatic BTW. I thought it could be my out to finally swap in a 5 speed but I'm not in place financially to do a swap right now so I'm looking for the cheapest option to get my wife safely back on the road.

·
Registered
476 Posts
From what you're describing it sounds like you're talking about te lock up control solenoid. The actual code will tell you specifically. P1753 and P1758 are for the the lock up solenoids A & B respectively.

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code was P0740. I drove the car yesterday (it is my wife's primary vehicle) and it is shifting normal and had no problems from what I can see. We may take it to the local honda shop to have the transmission flushed, that seems like the first cheapest option, if that doesn't work I will clean the solenoid and hopefully I wont have to replace it.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
well, first off I wouldn't trust an auto parts store info my wife gathered.

You can get bare bone scanners for dirt cheap! Or take the car in myself and look at the codes on the scan with my own eyes.

What does the factory service manual say on diagnosis?????

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
The code was P0740. I drove the car yesterday (it is my wife's primary vehicle) and it is shifting normal and had no problems from what I can see. We may take it to the local honda shop to have the transmission flushed, that seems like the first cheapest option, if that doesn't work I will clean the solenoid and hopefully I wont have to replace it.
You will be flushing $2500 down the drain.

NEVER flush a Honda Tranny, Honda doesn't even suggest it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
With a not easily serviceable filter I'd second not flushing.

P0740 is "general" lock up system control code. You should make sure there are no other codes to be pulled that are more specific either by scan tool or the flashing D4 light.

If no other codes are found clear the code by pulling the 7.5 amp "Back Up" fuse in the under hood fuse box to clear the ecu. See if the code returns as they can be intermitant before spending money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts