Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 civic ex runs and drives most of the time but more often now it will either start and run good for a day or so or it won’t start at all. Used to be once in a while it would do it now it’s a few times a week. Put new distributor, ignition switch, swapped my ecu with my new spare, did the main relay conversion kit, replaced and checked grounds , new rywire engine harness literally everything that would cause the issue. Only thing I haven’t done is change the ignition key switch but the ignition electrical has been changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Literally everything that can cause it I’ve done
When it acts up whatever it is that’s causing it makes the main relay click on and off till it dies and I can’t figure it out. I’ve had 11 Hondas and this is the first one that’s ever done this. Everything is new all wiring damn rywire harness even changed sensors I’ve built everything on the motor built so many engines over the past few years and this is the first. There is something causing the relay to screw up and it does it but don’t know or have found anything that anyone has done or said that’s fixed it. Even my tuner that does my cars is clueless 😤

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,340 Posts
Literally everything that can cause it I’ve done
When you say done, you mean replaced, not actually diagnosed.

Instead of shotgun parts replacement, how bout some actual diagnostics? Or pay a shop that is well versed in the subject to hunt the issue down for you?

Or just buy an ignition switch to carry on the tradition lol.

If main relay is physically clicking on and off when acting up, that should be easy enough to verify what at the main relay is being lost (or not) when it acts up, then figure out where those circuits go to see what else could be causing such a loss (or lack theirof).

Schematics and a test light (or 6 of them for 1.99 at harbor freight) will be your friend here.

Stop being the guy who spends literally thousands on parts you dont need, only to find out it was a broken wire or corroded terminal or something like that.

Diagnose, not just replace.

Even my tuner that does my cars is clueless
I know many a tuner who cant diagnose themselves out of a hole in the ground. The term tuner is relative, just as Einstein predicted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what it’s ok
I knew this was dumb to ask people a question to help figure things out. But instead my intelligence gets insulted like I haven’t done the leg work and checking diagrams checking wires with a multi meter it’s cool. I’m 38 years old been working on cars my whole life. I build and work on my own shit I don’t pay people to work on my cars. I’ve been a mechanic for years and so has my dad for over 40 years and has his own business as a mechanic. So before you go and try to act cool or post smart ass stuff maybe someone can post helpful stuff.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,340 Posts
Your intelligence is insulted? You literally said none of that initially, and only listed parts you've replaced, and seem to be looking for suggestions from the group here on other parts to replace.

What have you done to diagnose the problem?

Sounds like your capable, tools, schematics, etc. Go forth and figure it out! Chase your symptom, relay clicking when acting up. Easy enough for someone capable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts