Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have sourced and I am looking to do an engine conversion on my little EJ9.

I currently have,

The engine d16z6 with inlet mani, but no gearbox.
My ej9 with full running gear, manual box.

What else do I need? As far as I am aware, through research online and information from the guy I sourced my engine from, I can...

• Use my current engine mounts
  • Use my current loom and wire in vtec wire? Or a facelift ek3/4 loom
  • Obd2b to obd1 conversion harness
  • swap over my current EJ9 injectors and ECU
  • Use my current ancillaries, like my D14 gearbox, linkage, driveshafts,alternator etc.
Basically, I just want to clarify a few things.

1. I assume I can use my current mounts as they will line up fine, but will they take the extra strain?
  2. Is it as simple as adding literally 1 extra wire to my current loom or if I buy a facelift ek3/ek4 loom will it just be plug and play/no modifications needed?
  3. Will my current injectors work with my ECU or will I need to opt for other injectors and P28 ECU as I have seen mentioned before?
  4. Will my D14 gearbox fit? same with the rest of my ancillaries?
I'm sure I have a million more questions, just can't think of them just now. I am from Scotland, UK. So I am limited in which parts I can source and my budget is quite tight. Bearing in mind I am not after the BEST solution to everything, the engine has lay there for too long now, I just want it in the car. I have looked online for various guides but I can specifically find a fully comprehensive guide for my particular situation.

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’m not super familiar with the d14, but if it’s like any other D, it’ll probably be like this:

1: Mounts will be fine.
2: Buy a new loom. It makes it 10x easier.
3: Should be fine.
4: I’m not 100% sure about this one, but I would guess that it would. I’d still buy a z6 trans because the gearing is awesome.

Like I said, I’m not super familiar with the d14, but hopefully that was of some help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Better to take your time and do it right the first time than to break stuff and have to spend more money. My buddy's been putting an engine into his MR2 for almost a year now. Still gushes oil every time it starts lol

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
At this point, might make more sense to break this down into steps/goals.

tear the d16 apart and inspect it/clean it/freshened it up. remove cylinder head, inspect valves, maybe a quick polish/grind to reseal the valves, new stem seals, send head to a shop to replace the valve guides, etc...

Then tally up any and all wiring needs. vtec conversion harness's are cheap, any OBD1 ecu can be converted and ran pretty easily, and instead of a new ecu conversion harness to get to OBD1, simply repin your current harness EDIT with OBD1 ecu plugs EDIT. You end up throwing away some wires for secondary O2 and such, which you can reuse to run as the vtec wires!

A little bit of elbow grease goes a long way to prevent bullshit from surfacing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts