Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's Gucci homeslices? lol

The name's Chewy and as the title states, 20 years later, I finally bought and EK.. well, EJ to be specific. I'm not new to the car scene by any means. I am however, new to modifying Hondas. I always wanted one since I was 19. I always was impressed with how the EK9 Type-R was built. It's a purpose driven solution for extreme cases of lead foot and the primal need to punish corners.

Long story short, a friend of as friend was building a B20 drag car of out a 1996 Honda Civic CX with 100K and some head issues. The car is super clean (coughyeahrightcough) save for some minor cosmetic issues. All the stickers on the car look brand new. The carpet is in good shape. The car was mostly taken apart because he was stripping the car for weight. Most of the engine bay was stripped and the engine was being prepped to be taken out. Did I mention that at the end of the day I paid $300 for the car? ;) It came with a B20 motor set as well. Oh, and 17 inch wheels and tires. It was missing seats but that doesn't matter as I was going to replace the seats anyway.

Condition: Some minor dents here and there. The fenders and hood were trash.The headliner is no bueno. Pterodactyls have chewed on the sun visors so they will either go or I'll wrap them in some sort of fabric. There was definitely some sort of rodent living in the car because I found PILES of nuts and odd looking husks of some sort. Oddly enough, I never found a poop. Whatever it was, it was hygienic. Don't shit where you eat people. I digress.

Everything was dusty, especially the engine bay and the sills where the stock ground effects attach. I needed a new lower ball joint as the drivers side unit had failed completely and was reduced to goo. I ordered a cheap seat of Ebay stock replacement arms and ball joints as I'm not going to be racing this thing hard and the stock items will work fine for the time being. The exhaust was trash. So was the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Oh yeah, something was living those parts too.

So far I have the engine, trans, header, cat back, coilovers, mounts, seat, headlights, taillights, headlights, new oem replacement fenders, hood and I have stock replacement axles on the way. Anyway.. before I keep rambling, I hope to learn more about D series engines and their potential. I think I'm on the right place!!

Cheers,

Chewy

InPartsCivic.jpg
My pile of stuff

someStuff (1).jpg
Some other stuff

s-l1600.jpg
And this thing D15B Non Vtec

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Removing B20 for a d15b no tec........I think we have a winner. Officially nominating for n00b of the year 2016.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LoL.. I know. It seems rather backwards but I have future plans that involves a K series. I didn't want to modify the B20 and while it does have more power than the D15, it still wasn't worth it in my mind. The B20 is getting sold to a friend. The D that I got is super clean so I'm working with that for now.

Removing B20 for a d15b no tec........I think we have a winner. Officially nominating for n00b of the year 2016.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys guys guys.... YoNaka-nna beleive what I got in the mail today.. no seriously.. Yonaka-nna guess at all lol .. Still have more parts to buy!!

0.jpg

Next is clutch kit, flywheel and axles. The axles I ordered never came in the mail. Not sure what brain I need for this thing. Didn't come with an ECU.

·
Registered
1993 Honda Concerto
0 Posts
i guess we're gonna be trading notes here and there regarding the mods i got myself a Concerto with a D16Z2 no-tec, and i'd ike to give it a few more hp's too!

i envy you, man! you got some tools and a shed. while i'm gonna have to start from scratch and buy all the tools i'll need for the setup. no biggie, i've got all the time. ^_^

What's Gucci homeslices? lol

The name's Chewy and as the title states, 20 years later, I finally bought and EK.. well, EJ to be specific. I'm not new to the car scene by any means. I am however, new to modifying Hondas. I always wanted one since I was 19. I always was impressed with how the EK9 Type-R was built. It's a purpose driven solution for extreme cases of lead foot and the primal need to punish corners.

Long story short, a friend of as friend was building a B20 drag car of out a 1996 Honda Civic CX with 100K and some head issues. The car is super clean (coughyeahrightcough) save for some minor cosmetic issues. All the stickers on the car look brand new. The carpet is in good shape. The car was mostly taken apart because he was stripping the car for weight. Most of the engine bay was stripped and the engine was being prepped to be taken out. Did I mention that at the end of the day I paid $300 for the car? ;) It came with a B20 motor set as well. Oh, and 17 inch wheels and tires. It was missing seats but that doesn't matter as I was going to replace the seats anyway.

Condition: Some minor dents here and there. The fenders and hood were trash.The headliner is no bueno. Pterodactyls have chewed on the sun visors so they will either go or I'll wrap them in some sort of fabric. There was definitely some sort of rodent living in the car because I found PILES of nuts and odd looking husks of some sort. Oddly enough, I never found a poop. Whatever it was, it was hygienic. Don't shit where you eat people. I digress.

Everything was dusty, especially the engine bay and the sills where the stock ground effects attach. I needed a new lower ball joint as the drivers side unit had failed completely and was reduced to goo. I ordered a cheap seat of Ebay stock replacement arms and ball joints as I'm not going to be racing this thing hard and the stock items will work fine for the time being. The exhaust was trash. So was the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Oh yeah, something was living those parts too.

So far I have the engine, trans, header, cat back, coilovers, mounts, seat, headlights, taillights, headlights, new oem replacement fenders, hood and I have stock replacement axles on the way. Anyway.. before I keep rambling, I hope to learn more about D series engines and their potential. I think I'm on the right place!!

Cheers,

Chewy

View attachment 113345
My pile of stuff

View attachment 113353
Some other stuff

View attachment 113361
And this thing D15B Non Vtec

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess we're gonna be trading notes here and there regarding the mods i got myself a Concerto with a D16Z2 no-tec, and i'd ike to give it a few more hp's too!

i envy you, man! you got some tools and a shed. while i'm gonna have to start from scratch and buy all the tools i'll need for the setup. no biggie, i've got all the time. ^_^
Nice!! Yeah, I'm always down to collaborate with ppl. Especially since I know jack about building Hondas. Yeah, I lucked out with the house I'm renting. Lots of room for cars and working on cars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup,
just make sure you get the right adapter harness for your car ,it should be obd2a ,as long as the last owner didn't change it...

Nice.. Thanks!! I'll be ordering those bits shortly. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain. I've been reading a ton on here and I just want to be certain of my choices. It is my understanding that I should get a Z6 intake mani and have it cut open and ported?

I imagine that the ECU will need to be chipped to work with the items I got or should it just be plug and play?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waiting for parts!!! Axles, Clutch, Flywheel, Seatrail, ECU, ECU OBD2A adapter. Still need a seat and to decide on a steering wheel. I have a Grip Royal Woodie but I'm not sure it will go with the vibe I'm going for. We'll see.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok so I got all my parts and decided to take it to a friends shop to have the engine put in. He has switched over several items from the old engine to the new one as some things didn't line up. I need to get an intake manifold. I want to confirm that I should get a D16Z6 intake manifold with throttle body. I have a Non Vtec JDM D15B. Can someone confirm this please? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts