Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a set of 1 wire horns and wanted to know if anyone know how to wire them up. My 88' Civic has 2 wires both and no hornreally. I want to install a set of 1 wire horns that are louder. Any help on how to do so would be great. I've searched but found nothing specific. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
373 Posts
Trace the two wires through. I expect one of them will eventually run back to earth. If that's the case, probably all you need to do with the one-wire horn is to make sure the casing is well grounded.

Worth a try, anyway. You shouldn't damage anything.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trace the two wires through. I expect one of them will eventually run back to earth. If that's the case, probably all you need to do with the one-wire horn is to make sure the casing is well grounded.

Worth a try, anyway. You shouldn't damage anything.
Sorry my first post was a little choppy. The wires that run to the horn are both hot until you press the horn button. At that point one wire goes neutral until the button is released.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
539 Posts
Sorry my first post was a little choppy. The wires that run to the horn are both hot until you press the horn button. At that point one wire goes neutral until the button is released.
Yep, the whole circuit is hot until you press the horn button, which grounds the circuit and turns the horns on. I'd add a relay and use the OEM horn switch to trigger like attached. Note that's assuming the horn is internally grounded through the mounting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the whole circuit is hot until you press the horn button, which grounds the circuit and turns the horns on. I'd add a relay and use the OEM horn switch to trigger like attached. Note that's assuming the horn is internally grounded through the mounting point.
Thank you so much for your help. This worked like a charm thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts