Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys any help you could give me would be VERY much appreciated. I recently bought a turbo D16Z powered EG which is fully built (forged bottom end, rods, etc.)

1) Do most of you guys have a coolant line running to your turbo AS WELL as an oil line?

2) And second of all the car when boosting doesn't smoke, but after a couple times when IDLING DOWN a bit of white smoke comes out. I'm pretty sure it isn't blue. Also, it doesn't do it under boost only after when driving around normally.

The car's valve stem seals were recently replaced, as was the headgasket.

Thanx

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first answer no,i dont have acoolant line flowing to my turbo.i have never seen that before.
and your second answer,if ur rings didnt seat properly or ur head gasket may be going then it may cause this. does ur car over heat at all.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a lot of turbos have oil and water passages, but some people leave the water unhooked. as for the smoke, it might be oil (if it has a blue tint obviously) getting past the turbo's seals. check the oil return for kinks, the oil may be pooling up a little in there

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghettoturbo said:
a lot of turbos have oil and water passages, but some people leave the water unhooked. as for the smoke, it might be oil (if it has a blue tint obviously) getting past the turbo's seals. check the oil return for kinks, the oil may be pooling up a little in there
damit i completey forgot checking your turbo.. check and see if there is any shaft play.i know u can send it out for free inspection to turbos.com or sumthing like that. if ur turbo needs a rebuild it will smoke.this guy locally had a short block done by aebs and it started smoking after about 1000 miles so he sold it dirt cheap, enough to buy a stock short block.he swore up and down that was the problem.so in came the new shortblock and out went the same white smoke.he replaced the turbo and the problem stopped.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..also, since your oil return line is gravity fed, and depending on what it's made of (I don't know if you have a bling bling pre-fab or not) but it could be backing up.

Oil backing up into the turbo would cause the pressurized feed line to push oil through the seals, and into your compressor and turbine housing. This would then be fed into your intake, and reburned, generating smoke.

As for the coolant passages. If you have them, sheesh, hook them up. It will help eleaviate the need of the ever so F&F turbo timer. The theromodynamics of the pressured coolant system cause it to continue to flow even though the water pump is not pushing, therefore, pulling heat from your bearings.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hear that, hook them coolant lines up, heat will kill everything.

we really have no idea what color the smoke is, we think its white, but it could be blue, but deffinately not black, the distinction between blue and black is greatly affected by the amount and type of light. Could this be an overfueling problem, just not burning??? But I agree with the oil situations.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
turbowhat said:
Hear that, hook them coolant lines up, heat will kill everything.

we really have no idea what color the smoke is, we think its white, but it could be blue, but deffinately not black, the distinction between blue and black is greatly affected by the amount and type of light. Could this be an overfueling problem, just not burning??? But I agree with the oil situations.
overfueling at idle?...i doubt it

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's possible that there could be a couple of things wrong here
first since you haev a oil and water cooled turbo do this, take the compressor pipe off that goes tot he intercooler and see of you see any water or moisture build up. also feel inside the turbo and see there too. if you do the turbo needs rebuilding.
check to see if there is turbo shaft play, do this by wiggeling the shaft side to side. if you feel mroe than a very slight movement and i mean less than a hair, then it's wearing out or worn, rebuild the turbo also push the ends of the blades in and out of the the housig if it moved any mroe than a hair, it's worn rebuild the turbo.

nect you coudl have a gasket leaking from the intake gasket, to the headgasket, to some water line not properly hooked up.

check yor oil, does it look milky or bubbley at all? check your water, do you see oil deposits floating in the water when you take the radiator cap off?

take the plugs out. do you see water on the plugs?

if no to any of the above then you may just have a leaning out for a moment. see the cat is designed to vaporize the carbon deposits and when under wot it's so mcu pressure it blows by the cat, but once you let off, it allows he cat to do it';s job properly and thus you get that whent he cat is fully warmed up.

hope that helps and good luck. personally i woudl look at being a turbo or jsut a normal cat working. i dont think it is somethign major, else you woudl hear noises and notice flucations in the perofrmance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts