Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys can anyone tell me what years the 2-layer y8 headgasket came in? or where i could buy one? id go with the d17a2 hg but it just doesnt look like it fits right with a d15/d16. going on a d15b vtec to boost comp, thanks

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
idk about the y8 HG but considering all d motors have 75mm bore any headgasket should fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, just did a little more digging, the d17 is a no go, but im thinking i may just get z6 hg and just mill the damn thing lol i cant find a solid answer for the 2-layer unless its one of those deals where you just remove a layer or something.

·
Registered
93 esi
17 Posts
I cant help on the american civics with y8's but in the uk they came from 96+.Although i think they are the same thickness as the z6 gaskets.I dont think the d17 gasket will fit after reading a few threads on people putting y8/z6 heads on d17 blocks the bolt holes dont line up for some of the head bolts and the oil way is in i a different place i think.The build threads were on here but i dont have a link for them.I would get a y8/z6 gasket and see how it fits your block/head.you can always exchange it for the correct one if there is a problem.

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
I cant help on the american civics with y8's but in the uk they came from 96+.Although i think they are the same thickness as the z6 gaskets.
The Y8 is alittle thinner bumping the compression .30 i think. You can get the Y8 gasket at any parts store, just tell them 98 civic ex and the only motor that should show up is the D16Y8. And the D17 gasket wont work period. good luck

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,966 Posts
If you use the Zealautoworks compressions calc, the three layer compressed is same thickness as the two layer number, .027".......

The only HG worth taking apart is the 5 layer MLS for the D16A6. Two layers can be removed and ran as a three layer, or just run a Y8 HG, same thickness.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, ill just go with the y8, i really didnt want to mill the head, just because plans always change down the road. i was unsure if maybe the 2-layer came on a certain year or something but i trust transzex, ill go with the y8 at .027, thanks alot guys

·
Registered
857 Posts
Y8 and Z6 both have .027" HG and they're all 3-layer. 2-layer is made by removing the middle layer, but it is very bad idea.

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
did you mean they both use .037" hg???
i dont think he did transzex said the same thing .027" and from what i've gathered transzex knows his shit for the most part not saying that ive seen something where he was wrong but im not gonna just say he knows everything... lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the gasket thickness on the zeal calc for the z6 gasket is wrong and has never been updated with the correct info the z6 and y8 are both .027 compressed, uncompressed whot cares how thick it is

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.