Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought i had 2.5 inch exhaust tubing for the past two years, but recently while installing a rear sway i had to cut and move some things around. out of curiosity i measured the pipe. 2 inches. my question is that i am a month or so away from turboing, looking for 200 hp, will i be ok with this exhaust setup?

if not what should i create, b/c i can run and weld all my exhaust piping or get it done cheap

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
csaddict said:
If you spend $175 on a muffler you are insane. You can get a summit turbo muffler for about $20 that will flow just as good. I ran 3" off the turbo all the way back into a summit muffler and it sounded great.
+1

or, do a sleeper look. throw a resonator and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on it and run a 2.5" DP to an e-cutout. around town it will sound stock, but when you want to rip, just flip a switch :TU:

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was gonna spend that much b/c if i am gonna re do it i want it to sound nice, and i heard good things about those 2

how does your summt sound is it deep or raspy and how loud is it

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
ryan89crx said:
+1

or, do a sleeper look. throw a resonator and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on it and run a 2.5" DP to an e-cutout. around town it will sound stock, but when you want to rip, just flip a switch :TU:
Where can that cutout go where it doesn't spew fumes over something sensitive to heat? Or is it possible to just run another short pipe somewhere from the cutout outlet...

This e-cutout idea is very tempting, I'll be boosting on a 2" exhaust (my current resonator + dynomax ultraflo) hopefully sooner than later.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
green_hornet_96 said:
is it possible to just run another short pipe somewhere from the cutout outlet...
:TU:

you can run it wherever you have room.

i picked up my DHM e-cutout in the classifieds from low EG-t for $150 :shocked:

they are usually like $200+
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
superdewey58 said:
how does your summt sound is it deep or raspy and how loud is it
turbo itseelf gets rid of all raspiness

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good God is there false information in this thread.

Firstly, a "summit turbo muffler" is among the worst flowing mufflers, flowing around 300cfm, basically the same as stock mufflers because alot of stock ones are turbo style mufflers. Straight through flow nearly the same as a straight piece of pipe, results are over 1000cfm with them.

Turbos do not get rid of all rhaspyness, my set-up was a 2.5" pipe, to a Magnaflow straight through on lowered compression, it sounded very similar an H22 with header, small resonator, and OBX muffler. Veryyyy rhaspy.

But you guys seem to not comprehend that rhaspyness isn't bad, i don't see why everyone thinks it is, rhasp is the sound of a well running engine with a high-flow exhaust (no resonators, header, straight through muffer). I guess it's kind of like a cam, to an untrained ear, it sounds like the car is running like shit and about to die.

·
Registered
461 Posts
superdewey58 said:
fo 20 bucks im willing totake the risk
Why not buy a $20 fart can from eBay insted? The turbo muffler on my D15 sounded terrible, it was kind of quiet inside the car, but stupid loud outside and sounded like i was revving my exhaust into a thin metal trash barrel.

My car came with the muffler that made the sound of what i'm posting below, from the exterior styling of it, i think it's a Super Turbo style muffler inside, but i'm not sure.

http://media.putfile.com/coffeecan90

Turbo mufflers sound like that, just alot more hollow sounding and as loud as a fart can.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This was an N/A engine by the way, it should sound a little better with a turbo, but i did the same thing. I bought a cheapie turbo muffler for my turbo car, ended up putting it on my daily driver because i found out how bad they flow, bought a fart can for my turbo car, ended up straight piping it and putting the fart can on my daily driver because the turbo muffler sounded so bad and flowed like poop.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts