Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two heads and one is a grey colour and the other is golden? why is this and which one should i use for my build?

i think i'm going to be gettin p&p, 3 angle valve job, bisi level 2 or 3 cam, springs and retainers. anything else i should get done? this will all be done by bisi...

Attachments

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
if they are the same head and they are getting re-done, just pick one to send. it will be like a new head when its done as long as its machined properly

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
if they are the same head and they are getting re-done, just pick one to send. it will be like a new head when its done as long as its machined properly

x2 either one is fine

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if choosing between 2 heads i would pull out the cams and check the journals and cams for wear. thats the most important part. the rest is up to the machine shop.
even if the cam is going to be a regrind? everything is being done by bisi

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i would have the brownish one sent to bisi. the other one is obviously lower miles and better taken care of, which will net more money if you sell it. and since your head is going to be rebuilt anyways, its not going to matter if it has higher miles

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that was what i was thinking too, plus the golden one is jdm oooooooooo hahaha .... thank for the help everyone! :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I'd pull the rocker assembly and cam on both, insect the cam bearing journals for wear and pitting before sending either off.

Normally the stained head would have more pitting on the journals, but I've seen clean heads with trashed journals and the most oil caked heads have perfect journals.

My red headed step child D15Baby8 upon teardown, with 150k + miles for example.

Larry @ ENDYN even agreed that he'd reuse the crank and mains as they are, just open the bearings for a little more oiling.

·
Registered
crx
1,450 Posts
exactly my point what good is getting a cam reground and the head rebuilt if the journals are pitted and or scored? i guess no one here has seen cams burn out heads to the point they cant line bored as if you would even waste the money on a line bore for a d head. IMO if both look similar id keep the newer one since you are goin to be building something to abuse. sell the other one to someone and tell them to clean it up.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I paid $50 for the CX long block, sold the HF style exhaust manifold for $40 locally.

Yeah, I'm a cheapass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bone, I have spoken with Larry about opening the bearings and he told me I could not drill them out but grind them to match the mains...have you done this? If so what did you use to grind them?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone off hand have a pic of pitted/scored journals? i will search in the meantime.... just so i know what to look for...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts