Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
88's simply needed a d15b2/7 cam gear to line it up, according to old forum posts.

89-91 should use a z6 cam gear I believe. Again, old forum posts. Did not see any picture comparisons to verify directly with 88 cams.

If you can measure valve open event, slap a gear on it that you have around, get #1 cyl to TDC comp, and rotate forwards and backwards at least 20* to check the intake event.

4.75* ADV?? memory is foggy.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
88's simply needed a d15b2/7 cam gear to line it up, according to old forum posts.

89-91 should use a z6 cam gear I believe. Again, old forum posts. Did not see any picture comparisons to verify directly with 88 cams.

If you can measure valve open event, slap a gear on it that you have around, get #1 cyl to TDC comp, and rotate forwards and backwards at least 20* to check the intake event.

Thanks Matt. I do have the gauge and a magnetic block so I can measure lift at the rocker arm. What am I looking for though?

If I line up #1 at TDC w the gauge on the rocker arm and rotate the cam +/- 20*, how will I determine which cam I have?

Sorry, this shit is confusing me. I know that with a degree wheel, I could compare the valve opening event w the FSM specs but I’m not sure how to do it without degreeing it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts

As stated before in this thread, 88-95 cam gears are ALL the same.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
As stated before in this thread, 88-95 cam gears are ALL the same.
reading fail on my part.

i cant even use beer as excuse lol

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Do you have a dial indicator for runout? such as for a brake rotor?

Obivously would not be big enough for the full cam profile, but would help you indicate when the valve is moving.

Else, maybe go oldschool, mark the top/peak of the first cam lobe centerline to base circle, and have a small ruler to mark it in regards to the keyway.

Will not be super accurate, but perhaps it would at least indicate whether all your A6 cams are the same.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
So bone, no tricks that you’re aware of to identify them?

Even w a degree wheel, I don’t think I can index the cams w the engine in the car.
All I would need is a timing light based on when I put a '91 D16A6 cam in a D15B7. Don't even need to remove timing belt or loosen the tensioner when swapping the cams around.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Trying to get information from Bone is like pulling teeth!

I’m aware of the trick to swap the cams without messing w tensioner and all that.

So I imagine if I mark my distributor where it is now, install the unknown A6 cam, and throw the timing light on there w the service plug jumped, I would see different results on the crank dial/pointer if it was one of the early 88 cams. Yeah?

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Another thing I would probably try, is to remove the distributor cap, and if you can have easy viewing access, rotate the motor in such a way where the rotor is putting the edge lined up to a point on the water shield. then, if you can somehow keep motor from turning, pull disty off with a mark on housing liek you already have, throw other cam in, and see if the rotor once again lines up to the edge you find.

I hope that made sense. The picture in my mind is more clear than my words.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I talked to Geoff from colt cams again today. He said he’d be able to tell once he got the cam.

I think I’m just gonna find the best looking one, send it in, and cross my fingers. If it happens to be one of the early 88 cams, I’ll ask him to use one of his cores. He said he had like 200 of them. Hell, I may just ship two cams just in case. Given that there is only a ~25% chance that I have an 88 cam, I think I’ll take my chances.

Don’t really feel like taking out my current cam, installing one of my spares, setting the valve lash, checking the timing, etc...

Seems like a lot of work just to take it right back out.

Thanks for your input fellas

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I already have it marked w a punch. But thanks for being vaguely helpful. I just needed some critical thinking to wrap my head around it.
How Larry Widmer (TOO) at ENDYN taught me and others to think it out.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Ok so if all 88-95 cam gears are the same, all 88-91 A6 head castings are the same, and all of the A6 cams have the same lift, then it’s just the cam sprocket keyway that’s indexed differently?

If the cam timing was slightly advanced in the 88 MY CRX, that would make sense considering the lower peak HP numbers (105hp vs 108hp).

I guess the earlier 88’s just had the distributor retarded a bit to account for the advanced cam timing.

So I could very well have a 88 MY cam in my engine now and I would never know for certain without indexing the cam.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts