Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hydrolocked my d16y8 and i picked up a d16y7 with ecu and wiring harness. When I put the motor in the harness was still connected to the engine, so I just put in the ecu and plugged the harness into it.

Now the engine cranks, but I have no spark and no fuel. I had to put the distributor from my old engine ( d16y8 ) on this motor and I think that might have something to do with it.

As far as the fuel goes I'm lost. I never touched the fuel pump relays, and when the key is turned to the on position the fuel pump doesn't run at all.

So far I've checked the relays and fuses and they all seem to be working fine. At this point I think that I've just had a dumb ass attack and forgot to plug something in or that I've not done the proper research and something is just not plugged in correctly.

So, Does anyone know any common things that don't get plugged in or where I should start checking in order to diagnose this problem. Any help or just a finger pointed in the right direction would help.

thanks in advance HXblack.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The engine harness connects to the underdash harness. I'm guessing that maybe the y7 engine harness and y8 underdash harness isn't the same. Use the y8 engine harness, ecu, distributor, IM, etc. All 88-00 blocks are dam near the same. It's a misconception that you have to use the wiring harness and ecu from the same engine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
and your ecu fuse is ok that would be my first guess im thinking with the y8 dizzy on the y7 bock may have blown the ecu fuse that would run both the fuel pump and the spark i dunno if the dizzys are the same but ill do some research and try to find out for ya..and its nice to c a fellow d series driver close by i live in jeffersonville across the bridge if ya need any help throw me a pm im still in the learning stage but i love working on these cars im about to throw in a y8 in my dx and change it over to a manual you have to love pull a parts prices. gl i hope this helps let us know how it gose :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
double and tripple check all of your grounds. The one that many people over look is the the ground that bolts to the thermostat housing, without out, the ECU or main relay will not work and your car will act stupid when trying to start it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I will check into all the possibilities that everyone has pointed out.

As for the y8 harness, i thought since this motor is not v-tec that it would not work and throw a code. Also the harness was already connected to the motor and only needed to be ran through the firewall and connected to the ecu. Also i will double check where the engine harness connects to the under dash harness.

I will double check all my fuses, i have already checked many of them, but will definitely go back through them.

I know that i have reconnected 2 grounds, im not sure on the exact number that there should be.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't have a ground on my thermostat housing....but I have one going from the top of the radiator bracket to my valve cover, one that goes from the other side of the radiator bracket to my negative terminal on my battery, the rather large one that you can't forget that connects the battery ground to the tranny, and one thats just underneath the intake on a wireharness bracket on the passenger side. THose are the ones I can remember...

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
switch back to the y8 harness!
All 88-00 block are the same expect for the know sensor on the back of the y8. which you can just leave unplugged. All the sensors are on the IM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got the motor running. What had happened was a while back I had someone install an auto meter tach, and when he was doing the wiring he had pulled the fuel pump fuse from under my dash for power. It was a shady job and was not done correctly. He pulled the fuse out, wrapped the wire around one of the prongs, and put it back into place.

When I went to pull the tach, I was still frustrated about my motor and just pulled the wire without thinking. As a result, I had pulled the fuse out, not stopping to put it back into place. I noticed this when I went through and checked all my fuses. I replaced the fuse and now have the car running.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts