Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if a set of insight aluminum rear brake drums would fit onto a 92-95 civic with the smaller rear drum brakes?
Ive done some searching on the web and theirs not much info on it.
ive found one thread stating they'll swap right over onto a 92-95 but ive also read another thread stating the backing plate wont let it work.
Any help or info would be appreciated thanks.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Why do you need to do this again?

EDIT: If you really want to mess with it than rip the whole assembly out from the junk yard and see what will and won't fit, maybe you can use the backing plate from this one or even the brake setup. I still don't see why this is a good idea. If you are trying to save a few lbs on rotating mass than get a set of HF wheels or miata wheels with the center bored out to fit or an aftermarket wheel under 12lbs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to replace the brake drums on my car and found a set of brand new insight aluminum drums for the same price as oem drums while searching through craigslist so i figured why not see if they'll fit. I've heard of people running these and the hf drums so i just wanted to see if i could upgrade a bit while doing some maintenance. Although if it wont work i wouldn't waste my time or money buying them.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Biggest downfall with the rear disc setup is the parking brake being in the caliper, it's a junk design. Toyota and other makers use a drum in disc setup for rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Drums last longer, weigh less, have a better lockup for parking brake (and burnouts), and are much more a pain to maintain though you rarely have to do it. Only reason i swapped was i got all the parts with brand new cables for less than $100,

are those aluminum drums cheaper than a pair of oem replacements?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm paying $25 for them off Craigslist, and I think I gonna pull the trigger on them and try them with some Porterfield brake shoes.
On eBay they cost $63 shipped their Ikuta OE brake drums for the Honda insight.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Drums last longer, weigh less, have a better lockup for parking brake (and burnouts), and are much more a pain to maintain though you rarely have to do it. Only reason i swapped was i got all the parts with brand new cables for less than $100,

are those aluminum drums cheaper than a pair of oem replacements?

drums are HEAVIER

you forget hardware kit, adjuster wheel, wheel cylinder, both shoes, the heavy backing plate, and the drum itself that weighs as much as just the caliper.

it is down to one setup lasting 100k miles, and one setup lasting 50k miles with regular guide pin greasing.

Rear disc is cheaper to maintain and easier.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Check RockAuto. Centric usually has diagrams with useful dimensions.

Looks like:

Insight - 179mm & 5lbs
92-5 Civic - 200mm & 9lbs

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that drum size for the manual transmission equipped or automatic 92-95 civic? If I'm correct they had two different sizes

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ive contemplated the rear disks but ive also read negative things about rear disk conversions on here..
Threads like this have made me think twice http://www.d-series.org/forums/suspension-corner/171841-crx-brake-talk-input-wanted-2.html
Dont listen to the acid beaver about rear drums vs disks, at some point he had a terrible experience with Honda rear disks and now thinks rear disks means you cant have a working parking brake on a Honda. It isnt true, they work just fine if they are put together right and not totally neglected. My CRX has been my daily driver for over 2 years and I have never touched the rear disks and everything works perfectly, I ebrake slide, burn and park all the time without issue.

Personally I hate drums because of their inherent contamination problems and unpredictability that causes, and I hate honda drums even worse because you have to constantly adjust them or else you have a squishy brake pedal. But those are my personal biases.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
age old theory on honda parking brakes and rear discs: USE EM OR LOSE EM

aka rip the e-brake every now and again to keep the darn thing from sezing up and breaking. Corrosion and neglect kill those things.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Just looked it up for 92-95 the manual transmission is 179mm the automatic is 200mm. So it should work.
88-2005 civic rear drums are 200mm except for the extreme fuel economy models like VX, CX, and old HF

weight savings was the idea.

going from memory here.... look at rockauto vehicle compatability charts on some of the part numbers to be sure...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,462 Posts
88-2005 civic rear drums are 200mm except for the extreme fuel economy models like VX, CX, and old HF

weight savings was the idea.

going from memory here.... look at rockauto vehicle compatability charts on some of the part numbers to be sure...
You might wanna check your info....most are 180mm.

1992-1995 are 180mm except 1.5L Sedan A/T, 1.6L model

Attachments

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
You might wanna check your info....most are 180mm.

1992-1995 are 180mm except 1.5L Sedan A/T, 1.6L model
Kinda why I said to be accurate, look up. I have shit for memory these days.

ha, its pretty much all my info nowadyas "I think this, but google that shit for sure..." lol :euro:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,462 Posts
I only found out when I had the two EG sedans, one LX and other was DX, both slush boxes.

The rear shoes are wider as well, quite the size difference when looking at them.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
drums are HEAVIER

you forget hardware kit, adjuster wheel, wheel cylinder, both shoes, the heavy backing plate, and the drum itself that weighs as much as just the caliper.

it is down to one setup lasting 100k miles, and one setup lasting 50k miles with regular guide pin greasing.

Rear disc is cheaper to maintain and easier.
I guess my scale has been wrong each of the 3 conversions i have done on my own cars. My own eyes look at a typical 3+ lbs a side LIGHTER for drums. I used to believe that nonsense until I did the disc conversion on my 1992 honda accord back in 2002, the scale didnt lie. Then 2 years later i did the conversion for my 1994 civic...and converted back to drums. saw teh saem thing on teh scale 2 years ago when i did the conversion on my 89 crx as well. i dont just "believe" stuff, I test it and often i find that "common knowledge" that is spread on forums is flat out wrong.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
I guess my scale has been wrong each of the 3 conversions i have done on my own cars. My own eyes look at a typical 3+ lbs a side LIGHTER for drums. I used to believe that nonsense until I did the disc conversion on my 1992 honda accord back in 2002, the scale didnt lie. Then 2 years later i did the conversion for my 1994 civic...and converted back to drums. saw teh saem thing on teh scale 2 years ago when i did the conversion on my 89 crx as well. i dont just "believe" stuff, I test it and often i find that "common knowledge" that is spread on forums is flat out wrong.
better be careful, with that kind of rational thought process you might even find out they brake better too, they just don't handle heat.

nothing wrong with drums, just wouldnt road race on them. I think even the larger 4wd drums still weigh less than crx disk rears and they are oversized a little. For me it's the springs that I never want to deal with.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts