Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have a 1999 Civic Dx with a manual tranny.

I've been having some problems when in gear, I hear a grinding sound. So far i have not had problems getting the car into gear though. I stopped driving the car because the grinding got too loud, sometimes i hear a pop, kinda like a bad axle.

I was wondering what is the best way to diagnose without removing the tranny.

Thanks in advance guys.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I added about a quart of mobil 1 5w30 engine oil, the grinding went away for the most part, however it seems that it wants to pop out of gear sometimes (esp. 1st & 2nd). Tomorrow i will drain the fluid and use honda fluid instead, see what happens.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a leak from the transmission seal on the drivers side axle. It also moves about .25" up and down. The axle is fine, its just leaking from the seal. Im wondering what pats by the drivers side transmission seal are the most likely to break down. Also, am i going to have to take the case apart?

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
u probably just had low fluid to cause the grinding noise, and the axle seal is probly shot

no, u should just be able to pop the axle out and replace

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
if inner cup is moving .25", bearings are toast, start looking for another tranny.

Rebuild kit for your tranny is $150-200, plus time and labor......

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Well, i ordered a set of differential bearings, about $50 (majestichonda.com). Tomorrow, i will install a '92 cx tranny, while i fix the other one's bearings. Should I look out for axle fitment issues or anything of the sort? Any tips, let me know.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
transzex said:
if inner cup is moving .25", bearings are toast, start looking for another tranny.

Rebuild kit for your tranny is $150-200, plus time and labor......
I like this man, he's doing it himself. :tu:

I'd rather fork over $200 and rebuild my own tranny then buy one in suspect condition.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
transzex said:
but what about the inner workings?

Yes I learn by fucking up a few myself.
Eh, it's the only way to learn. With a service manual, the right tools, and some patience... it's not too bad.

Besides, if you break it... you just buy another one, which is where you were before anyway. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts