Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 70mm throttle body thats a direct fit to the stock manifold I can cut the manifold so the itll be opened up for the 70mm but the stock throttle body has the IAC but the 70mm I bought didnt come with it, any suggestions what I can do to maybe bypass or know where I can find a throttle body that has a IAC for 98 civic d16y8

I bought a 70mm throttle body thats a direct fit to the stock manifold I can cut the manifold so the itll be opened up for the 70mm but the stock throttle body has the IAC but the 70mm I bought didnt come with it, any suggestions what I can do to maybe bypass or know where I can find a throttle body that has a IAC for 98 civic d16y8
Its also an Automatic

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
dont bother. While you can run a 3wire auto IACV with a manual vehicle with some wiring/depinning, you cannot properly run a 2wire IACV from a 3wire vehicle

70mm throttlebody wont give you any actual performance that you will USE. Just gonna kill low end torque while gaining minor power up near the redline.

Optionally, on the flat casting surface where the 2wire IACV goes on the back of the intake manifold, you could try and grind chambers to make use of the 3wire IACV, but that is fresh territory waiting for someone to bother doing it.

Why did you buy the 70mm throttlebody ebfore trying to figure out if it is going to work?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Optionally, you can build a PWM converter to switch the PWM signal to straight voltage adjustments, and simply run the manual style 2wire IACV after clearing the passageways. But you are on your own to figure that out. Way above my ability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont bother. While you can run a 3wire auto IACV with a manual vehicle with some wiring/depinning, you cannot properly run a 2wire IACV from a 3wire vehicle

70mm throttlebody wont give you any actual performance that you will USE. Just gonna kill low end torque while gaining minor power up near the redline.

Optionally, on the flat casting surface where the 2wire IACV goes on the back of the intake manifold, you could try and grind chambers to make use of the 3wire IACV, but that is fresh territory waiting for someone to bother doing it.

Why did you buy the 70mm throttlebody ebfore trying to figure out if it is going to work?
Usually I know that the IAC is like on the intake manifold I didnt realize that this particular year would have it on the throttle body I just came realizing it as I was going to do the install

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
You can install the throttlebody and set an idle for 950rpms or so, but over time you are going to beat the shit out of the transmission and especially the axles.

Or just use a K series crv 02-04 throttlebody, get the appropriate wire adapters, and hog part of the intake out for the idle passageway. The k series IACV is the same 3wire plug.

3 of the 4 bolts line up, though one is ever so slightly off. it puts the spool on a different side, and the 4th bolt that DOESNT line up is easy enough to drill and tap, or like what I did, drilled all the way through, flattened material behind the hole, and used a bolt and nut with washers.

I think that gives you 58mm or 60mm throttle.

Or leave everything factory for now and decide something later on. considering it is the Y8 auto setup, it does pretty well on its own. Run some fuel system cleaner a couple times to keep it peppy.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan
37 Posts
I think you're better off skipping that mod in my personal opinion and saving your time & effort. That huge of a throttle body isn't going to give you what you think it does like it would on a K-series for instance. I've seen a 62mm OEM ITR throttle body port matched on an SOHC before but that car had a cam/valvetrain/port&polished head/Skunk2 IM etc. and that was more than enough air for that set up.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
171 Posts
Its an auto. Tune up, services, valve lash adjustment, intake, header, 2 inch cat back, call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts