Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this site, I have been trying to get some help from other sites for about 2 weeks now and haven't gotten a single reply yet, hopefully this site will be quicker and better suited for my needs.

I have a 97 hatchback with a rebuilt d16y7, and the acura 5spd transmission.
I love the car, but I want it to go faster.
I drove a 94 z28 since I got my licence, but it finally started having issues, and instead of spending money on it I traded it for this honda, maintaining what I already had in it.

I want to turbo it, putting maybe a max of 6 PSI on it, trying to hit 200whp, I dont want anything outrageous, as it is still my daily.
I am trying to decide if I should buy an ebay turbo kit, and if so if anyone here has a specific one they would recommend I would appreciate it,
Or buy a used kit from a guy who pulled a TD04 from his Mitsubishi, I could get his turbo, the exhaust manifold from the Mitsubishi which I dont think I need, the down pipe, an aftermarket blowoff valve, and the oil feed and return lines. All for $160, or $400 if I get a Mishimoto intercooler he has, but I'm sure I could get one cheaper online.

So would I be better off spending the extra money to get a complete kit specifically designed for my car, or piecing my own kit together from this guy and online?

And for the d16y7, for the maybe 6psi of boost, would I need to get a new ECU, injectors, or anything extra like that? Or would my ecu be tunable and the stock injectors work fine?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,004 Posts
you need to spend more time reading.

psi means dick.

want to know how I know you need to spend time reading?

97 = obd2....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need to spend more time reading.

psi means dick.

want to know how I know you need to spend time reading?

97 = obd2....
And what does OBD2 have to do with it? D16y7 was the first OBD2 engine honda produced, I've read that much.

PSI may not be as important as I made it out to be, but I am planning on dailying this car, so I would prefer to run little risk in blowing it up on stock internals, which less PSI gives lower chance of it blowing.

My main question was about the financial part and whether I would be better to buy a complete kit, or buy this TD04 turbo and complete the kit from it.

·
4,004 Posts
save your money.

do more learning.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
personally id piece together a kit if i was doing it, you will get better quality parts and also learn a lot more while doing it,,also since you know the turbo you are going to get you can plan around that when buying the parts. i wouldn't limit it to any psi number but i would limit a HP number, lots of things effect air flow more then the pressure its being pushed at.

you will need injectors, they are cheap in a pick n pull junk yard, rdx injectors would be sweet
you will need to convert to obd1 to make tuning simple and cheap.
start planning the build and make a list of every part you will need/want and then go from there.
look at lots of other builds, around 160-190whp turbo builds ideally. you will see ones done on the cheap and ones that cost thousands

if you know what your doing and are handy you could get the parts for a 180whp setup from a pick n pull in an afternoon for a few hundred
knowing exactly what you need and what you dont actually need is what makes that possible

id read a lot and look at what others have done as you make your parts list, then start buying parts.

you have a hp goal and a turbo that can do it, buy the parts off your buddy and stick with the original goal of under 200hp and go from there. 200whp may be pushing it if you are hard on your rigs,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
save your money.

do more learning.
Then what would you recommend? That's why I came to a forum in Hope's of having conversation and hearing suggestions.
I have only ever owned V8s and ran NA, so this is a completely different field than I've ever worked with, but I am eager to learn and do what it takes to make a good build that I can enjoy and that will last me.

I've searched dozens of forums, which for the most part only describe B series swaps and Ebay turbo kits.

I have found a few people who did use the TD04 with the d16y7 successfully, and some who did this setup but swapped to a D16y8 head.

I am just looking for pointers, and bringing the research that I have done and asking for feedback on that.

If it wouldn't be advised to go the TD04 route, I can get a CX racing kit for about $950 shipped, with an alleged 12% off for black friday, which would bring it down to about $830, and I am able to do all the work myself, would want a professional tuner to tune it of course.

So my last question would be, would it be a wise decision to go with this CX racing kit, and if so would stock injectors work with a low boost setup, or should I go ahead and plan for bigger injectors?
I have seen people saying they used bigger injectors, but never any specifics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
personally id piece together a kit if i was doing it, you will get better quality parts and also learn a lot more while doing it,,also since you know the turbo you are going to get you can plan around that when buying the parts. i wouldn't limit it to any psi number but i would limit a HP number, lots of things effect air flow more then the pressure its being pushed at.

you will need injectors, they are cheap in a pick n pull junk yard, rdx injectors would be sweet
you will need to convert to obd1 to make tuning simple and cheap.
start planning the build and make a list of every part you will need/want and then go from there.
look at lots of other builds, around 160-190whp turbo builds ideally. you will see ones done on the cheap and ones that cost thousands

if you know what your doing and are handy you could get the parts for a 180whp setup from a pick n pull in an afternoon for a few hundred
knowing exactly what you need and what you dont actually need is what makes that possible

id read a lot and look at what others have done as you make your parts list, then start buying parts.

you have a hp goal and a turbo that can do it, buy the parts off your buddy and stick with the original goal of under 200hp and go from there. 200whp may be pushing it if you are hard on your rigs,
That's a great reply, thank you.
I've been reading around, and there are specific engine builds in certain threads, but none for my engine, so I'm just going to keep reading. I've found a complete kit on CX racing that's pretty nice, but it is pricey. I'm not too worried about the money, as I want it done right. But if I only need to find a decent intercooler, the piping and hosing, maybe a pump or two for oil, to go with this turbo then I may just do a little part pulling and make my own kit.

Thanks.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
Dont wory about what the block says on it. Its a d16 non vtec..keep it that simple or even more simple at d16 or d15 when looking at engine builds.

Bolt on parts and turbo parts will be the same on any dseries build. You will also be converting to obd1, you will also find 90% of the builds are obd1 too. So looking at a boosted y8 or boosted a6 wouldnt make a difference with what parts are bolted on a stock motor turbo build.

Honestlt complete kits look good but its a lot of cheap stuff that you end up replacing anyway. And you dont learn as much. I really think you should piece one together

And you should read builds to find out things like, what size injectors and what type of injectors and then whats needed to run/fit them. Also what ecu/ obd should you be. How to convert to that. Also what turning softwear should you use, do you need a wide band, what fuel are they all running. Those are the things you should learn from reading builds. Not part numbers

·
4,004 Posts
I've found a complete kit on CX racing that's pretty nice, but it is pricey.

I'm not too worried about the money, as I want it done right.

Thanks.
ebay, pricey, and done right........ makes no sense.

if you want quality,

support a vendor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts