Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not sure where to put this thread if it is in the wrong area I am sorry.

I frequently look at threads on here because of so many helpful people unlike honda tech can be at times.
I have searched google downloaded the helms for 1992-1995 and adjusted my hatch glass numerous times.I cannot get this thing to seal flush at the top driver side corner .
I compared the hinges to my other hatch they seem alright not bent. The weatherstrip on the body seems pretty good condition but I would hate to shell out 80 bucks(because I cannot find the seal anywhere else) and it still not help.

Any one have this issue as well or know someone and what they did I have been hoping that I have been doing something wrong.
And if i do need a new weatherstrip seal does anyone have any idea where I could find one other than the dealers or online dealers?

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Are you talking about the windows in the door? If so are you positive it is between the vertical seal on it if not it wont seal up top

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry im a tad frustrated and tired lol. The actual hatch or liftgate part on the back of the car that lifts up. On the driver side their is just a tiny amount of clearance which allows water during rain to slowly roll in and I noticed it one night when I was getting tools out of my back seat. I have adjusted it many times with no luck

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Pics? There is a possibility that the hatch itself is bent

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will have to in the morning it is very dark.The only thing i could think that is bent would be the hinges themselves since the rest is glass?the opening is really only like 3 mm maybe and 3 inches long. the red area is where im having trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Goto the carwash and have your friend spray the car and see the exact spot of the leak. It can be weatherstripping or strut mount ect

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do that. My friend from out of state is visiting as well he has had more than a handful of the 92-95 hatches he said he will look at it as well. Is there a aftermarket source for the 80-100 dollar seal if I end up replacing it,seems a little odd the ek hatches seal only run around 50 bucks brand new.

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
ebay and i believe if you loosen all the bolts on the bracket and readjust it back just a little you may be able to get it to seal a little better. also you can goto lowes and get a cheap household weather stripping pack for a couple bucks just to be 100% its the stripping and not just bad adjusting ect

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gah i feel pretty dumb right now i just found this while looking through the pdf again. I didnt know the hinge mounting on the cab could be adjusted..ive been trying to solve this problems for at least 4 or 5 months

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it didnt helpt it would just make it worse in other areas but if i put shims like washers between the glass and hinge it seals. So this would definitely mean the seal is bad ?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The only thing I can think is is is rolling over the rolled edge of the hatch and dripping. I would buy some cheap weather seal and stick it right on top of the existing rubber. The water should be rolling over the hatch and hitting the seal and running down the channel along the side of the opening. This would test the seal being bad theory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it must be the seal i did that with some real thin door seal stuff we had around the house it seems to have corrected it i also had to fix the dumb fresh air vent as well lol.

Im going to probably take it for paint this month but when i order the new seal how long should I wait before applying the hondabond or permatex ultra grey(not sure which to get supposedly permatex is oem equivalent) to the seal and placing it on the new paint so I do not ruin anything from a chemical reaction?

I called the autobody shop my old buddy owns but forgot they would not being working any this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts