Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 crx it has a 100% bone stock D15B2 with a five speed. I have been wanting a mini me swap for awhile and i just got a z6 head because i got it cheap from my brother i also have a small turbo on a y8 manifold

i have a few questions im hoping this site can help with.
Can i use the dpfi that is in my crx now with the z6 head?
is the z6 belt best for this?
and with plans of boost ive been told to use a y8 head gasket for lower compression

·
Registered
815 Posts
dpfi won't work ,need to pgmfi intake it.
tunable ecu of some kind will be needed.
bigger fuel pump.
minimum 36lb/hr injectors.
z6 tbelt yes.
use any mls, thicker if staying stock rods.
arp head studs if budget permits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
walbro 255?
and i will have a p28 i also have a vtec controller but people say it isnt worth using
and yes i will be getting the arp studs

·
Registered
201 Posts
walbro 255?
and i will have a p28 i also have a vtec controller but people say it isnt worth using
and yes i will be getting the arp studs
You definitely need to be MPFI.

Yes on the pump. If you go with the OEM pressure 255 (P/N GSS317), you shouldn't need an aftermarket pressure regulator, the OEM one will suffice.

If you happened to buy the GSS342, it is capable of overwhelming the stock pressure regulator which can cause your fuel pressure to spike unexpectedly, or be higher than OEM under all conditions. You will need an aftermarket regulator with a larger inlet/outlet to maintain control of that pump.

You need injectors. Use an injector HP calculator (google, there are many) to determine your recommended flow rate for a given power level.

As robgoof said, use an MLS gasket in whatever thickness you need. Definitely couple with ARP's for a good clamp.

Your P28 ECU should automatically control VTEC when working properly. Throw out that controller thingy.

You will need some way of tuning that ECU to work with the larger injectors and provide operating parameters that will support manifold pressures higher than atmospheric air pressures. ECU modifications go hand in hand with tuning and turbocharging Honda's, and is where you should start your research/purchases above all else before going turbo. There are numerous posts on this subject, and you will eventually come to a conclusion that fits your budget/needs on your own after doing a lot of reading.

The P28 is a common OBD1 modification friendly ECU, so you should be good to use what you have as a starting point for modifications.

Just remember, a Honda with a turbo/injectors/fuel pump slapped on it can't do anything unless the ECU knows what to do with boost and the larger injectors. In stock unmodified form, it will never start with larger injectors installed. If it DOES start, it will run like crap and/or freak out and fall on it's face when boost comes on because it doesn't know what to do with any of it. You also risk damaging your freshly built engine without provisions for those modifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts