Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is my first build thread on here. I picked up a 91' hatch in October to replace my 89' Hatch. The 89' has been around the block a few times. I picked up my 91' for $800. I had a fully rebuilt by me 89' DOHC ZC that was for the 89' Hatch. The 91' came from Kentucky and is rust free. The front end needed some work but nothing I didn't think I couldn't handle. The 91 Serves as my DD at the moment. A work in progress. some times slow since I have my "Project" car in the works as well.

91' DOHC ZC Civic Hatch Build

As you can tell it's slammed. On cut spring's that got cut to much so they used an auto zone "spring lift". The bottom wasn't to horrible. I cleaned it up and re undercoated it.

D15 with an Si trans. Had two bolts holding the transmission to the block along with random motor mount bolts missing. Also the clutch disc ended up being installed backwards. Ground down the flywheel bolts quite a bit. Honda people these days...

I'm going to resize a bunch of picture's to upload.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
89' OBD0 DOHC ZC

$150 bad rod bearing. Came with a DX 5-Speed. Not a bad deal.

Water blasted the valve cover. used wrinkle black.

Back from the machine shop. Cleaned and honed.

Fresh bearings and crank turned. New rings, all new gaskets, water pump, oil pump ect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Making the new harness. I used a spare wiper motor plug for my injector wiring. Wanted to keep it easy for removal/Install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Old motor out. Painted bay gloss black. kind of regret the black because I'm planning on respraying red. Oh well. And in with the ZC with an Si trans and Ebay header. I at least port matched it for the ZC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mostly organized. Just changed over to a MPFI throttle cable. I don't know how I went without before! Oh and that yellow wire was for my starter. for some reason all the plastic clips were gone from the clutch and brake pedals. So it wouldn't start with the key and the brake lights stuck on. it took me a while to get all the mis haps fixed but at least it wasn't hacked up just rigged.

Fresh suspension besides springs and struts ect. all OEM height now. DA Integra rear discs.

The front end is silver because it came off of my 89' Hatch. It's a CRX front end. figured I'd add the conversion the way I did it to the build since its on the car now. I plan on redoing them with new CRX fenders and stock 90'-91' corners. I also want to get a 90'-91' bumper while im at it. I'm putting a new core support in it as well because the head light buckets were previously fixed the wrong way leaving the headlights sunken in a bit. I'm picky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is were I'm at besides the 17's rollin on steelies now. Traded them and $50 for a rust free 240sx shell. Hopefully picking up some LS meshies for it this weekend. Still debating on an Si roof swap since I know I can get my hands on everything to do it. Let me know what you think so far.

HKS Sport Catback

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. just got all the spot welds drilled. all 62 of them.

Next up is swapping my manual rack for a power one. need to make a custom bracket for a stock pump as well. the ZC's are specific and impossible to find. and also so everyone can hate on this build I'm running A/C as well. I'll try and keep this up to date as it goes on. Keep in mind this is my DD and am building it for some spirited driving and comfort as it does get use quite often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a CA18DET for it. currently has CP pistons. Need to order lots of parts for that one yet. hope I can get it going around summer time. It was bare though. I had to source doors bumpers you name it. no wiring. squat..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
luckily i did have an extra shell with a blown ka but I didn't want to strip it. was still in good shape frame rail wise and all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Also since there isn't that much info for the HKS Sport Catback my part number was LES-H05. Most places have a general stock picture. Ive noticed a lot more are actually showing the real system in pictures now. It's very well built. Had it on and running in less that 45 minutes. Super quiet, i was drawn between the Tanabe Touring catback and the HKS. Wouldn't change a thing. Really all i hear is my motor and intake. It's kind of nice to get the flow out of it with out the typical Honda raspy noise. 100% satisfied.

https://youtu.be/t87CQxR_GlU

Here's a short video. Don't mind my FaceBook messages haha!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update on a few thing's I've been planning on doing in the future and few newer extra's.

CRX Power Steering Rack.

Moog Inner & Outer Tie Rod's. New boot's as well.

DX/SI Axle's. My STD axle's have taken a beating already. Need new wheel bearings for a set of DX knuckle's I picked up.

I know it's dirty but it's winter time so give me a break. EK center console.

Just picked these up the other night.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
MMMMeshies, look great, timeless on this chassis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this happened

I was having issues of power loss at high RPM. I could hear something like a tick and knew something was up so I took the ZC out and Put this in real quick :TD:

Turns out rod bearings took a poo. Im 99% sure it was because of my oil pump. I need to drop the crank off at the machine shop here soon. Hopefully get away with new bearings, Oil pump and head gasket :fingersx: . As of now I got all new tires. The weather is getting better and better so hopefully i can get a lot more done soon.

Got some extra goodies recently as well. Center garnish and rear wiper setup. Waiting on all this till i get another fresh CRX Front end and paint. Gonna keep the years the same 90-91 bumper and corners ect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts