Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all my fellow CRX owners out there, I've got a new one for you guys. My rear security compartment has a broken corner on it and it cannot be screwed down securely. I bought a replacement off of ebay with a mint bottom half but the top lid is warped and covered in a decaying ugly blue carpet. My plan is to take to good lid off of mine and attach it to the good bottom half of the piece that I ordered. It seems simple enough but the hinges on these things seems pretty tricky and a little rusted. They're almost like expandable metal fittings that are connecting it and are proving a real PITA to get out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's been a couple years, but I remember removing my lid pretty easily. Isn't it just a few screws? Or some bitch pins to push out?

BTW, you can easily fix the warp. Spray it down with a hose... don't get it totally waterlogged, just get it wet enough for the masonite board inside to soften a bit. Then stack it between damp towels with something flat and heavy on top. Let it dry slowly and flat like that, and presto... fixed.

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been a couple years, but I remember removing my lid pretty easily. Isn't it just a few screws? Or some bitch pins to push out?

BTW, you can easily fix the warp. Spray it down with a hose... don't get it totally waterlogged, just get it wet enough for the masonite board inside to soften a bit. Then stack it between damp towels with something flat and heavy on top. Let it dry slowly and flat like that, and presto... fixed.
Ah Bitch pins I couldn't think of the word for them, but yes that's what they are. Some of them are in pretty far and can only be pulled from one direction. The other sides are blocked off by plastic.

I'd get pb blaster. Spray the hinges,let it set.

Could probably find new hinges at your local home improvement store. Just take the old one in.

Edit: pics are always needed.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ill keep an eye out for them man. We have a Fastenal here where we are so I may look there first

·
Registered
276 Posts
Haha, I think the official nice name for them are "roll pins". I just went out to the car and looked, and am pretty sure removing those pins is what needs to be done to get the lid off. I think you have to open the box and from inside the box, you pry/push the pins to the side, and then you can get to the pins from behind the box using pliers.... assuming the whole security box is removed from the car.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds more like split pins or even rivets. You might be better off drilling them out and using new screws to attach it. You can through-bolt with some nice looking mini carriage bolts, or you can get some rivets to put it back on with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts