Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I bought a project civic with the radio out and the wires still had the stock plug to the stock radio on it, I bought a radio and looked for hours to find a wiring diagram and couldn’t every wiring diagram that was supposed to be my car wiring diagram wasn’t and some of the wires were different colors than mine. If there’s a recent thread to this could you link me or is there any actual wiring diagrams for my EF. Thank you!!!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,543 Posts
autozone has a Honda specific pigtail. put that pig tail and if youre going aftermarket head unit, match the writing on the wires......notthathard

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
if you have the oem radio plug, then like above stated, buy the adapter harness.

its like 15 bucks or less at walmart or any decent parts store

EDIT the radio plug adapter fits a metric buttload of hondas and acuras

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you have the oem radio plug, then like above stated, buy the adapter harness.

its like 15 bucks or less at walmart or any decent parts store

EDIT the radio plug adapter fits a metric buttload of hondas and acuras
autozone has a Honda specific pigtail. put that pig tail and if youre going aftermarket head unit, match the writing on the wires......notthathard

Ok I cut the pigtail off to install the aftermarket radio harness it came with. I don’t know which is the speaker wires, ground, etc.

Attachments

·
4,543 Posts

youre joking right? you cut off the oem harness?

so, what exactly is the adapter going to PLUG into?

the female plug PLUGS INTO the oem male plug, and all you got to do is read the writing on the wires from the pigtail and connect them to the wires on the radio harness........

there are even instructions on the package to walk you through it

Reactions: Honda Mike

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
So lets make this easier on you, since you probably didnt realize there was an adapter harness. Not everyone does, and not everyone takes the time to look around first.

Grab a ntoebook, and mark off all the wire colors.

Then grab a multimeter, with key out of ignition, find battery votlage. Mark it as 12+ or HOT or BATT.

put key into ignition, turn it one click over. no gauges should light up. Find the wire that now has voltage. This is your ignition 12v+, mark it IGN or switched power.

Now flip the headlight switch on. Find the wire that is now hot. This is your DIMMER or lights wire. mark it down.

Now go to each speaker in teh car, yank the speakers, and find the wires. Match colors to the radio harness.

This should narrow down what you need. If you need help finding a ground in the harness, you should find a friend to help.

Its nice to do things on your own, but next time, take a second to consider your options and parts requirements, rather than going in hot and cutting plugs off.

If you were smart, you cut the plug off while leaving some wire length to identify wire color locations. Then you only need to look online at a radio adapter plug and figure out what wires go to each location, as the radio adapter harness is colored in the universal standard (example yellow battery voltage, red ignition voltage, black ground, etc...)

good luck

·
4,543 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

youre joking right? you cut off the oem harness?

so, what exactly is the adapter going to PLUG into?

the female plug PLUGS INTO the oem male plug, and all you got to do is read the writing on the wires from the pigtail and connect them to the wires on the radio harness........

there are even instructions on the package to walk you through it

I never got the adapter

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
As I’m sure you already know, normally you buy the adapter and then wire that up to the harness supplies with the stereo unit. In any case, you can still make it work it’s jusf going to be more of a pain to wire the stereo harness to the vehicle harness.

I don’t have the answer but I’m sure a google search will show you the pinout/wiring diagram.

Good luck

Edit: damn, looks like slo and matt came through for ya. Nice

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ive probably owned 10-15 hondas, and not one of them still had the OEM stereo plug, clowns like you are the reason why.

As a side note, do second gens have a dimmer wire for the radio? Dont remember ever seeing that, although I have always delt with butchered harnesses.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
4,543 Posts
my ej1 had a stock harness. I was so excited when I seen it.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
OP has not reported back to say if he still had the bit of factory plug and wires left, or if he threw it out.

Also has not reported back on if he figured the wiring out yet.

Im thinking perhaps hes not interested in updating us at this point.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
OP has not reported back to say if he still had the bit of factory plug and wires left, or if he threw it out.

Also has not reported back on if he figured the wiring out yet.

Im thinking perhaps hes not interested in updating us at this point.
One of my biggest annoyances. People come here asking for help, you dig deep inside to resist the urge to tell them to search, you give them gold, and then they never come back to tell you the outcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts