Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 mustang that up to about a week ago ran perfect. My battery took a crap so I put another one in it. Now here's the problem, as soon as I put the battery in and hop in the car I turn the key on and notice that the fuel pump relay under the seat keeps clicking and now the car won't start. So trying to diagnose the problem my self I start replacing parts. Parts replaced- relay under the seat, distributor cap and rotor, coil, tfi module, fuel filter. Still problem not solved. I haven't replaced the fuel pump because I'm sure it still works because I can hear it and has pressure at the fuel rail. Something else I noticed was that I have spark at the coil to the distributor cap but no spark at the plugs. Please help!!

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Ok first... Why did you bring and no less join a HONDA fourm, when you have a FORD Mustang?!?!?!? There are tons of fourms that cover both Fords in general and Mustangs specifically.

But I would suggest a new Dizzy... sounds like the PIP module or the coil in the dizzy has gone bad.
And no, it is not the same kind of coil that that you have replaced, this is a small one under the reluctor.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Ok first... Why did you bring and no less join a HONDA fourm, when you have a FORD Mustang?!?!?!? There are tons of fourms that cover both Fords in general and Mustangs specifically.

But I would suggest a new Dizzy... sounds like the PIP module or the coil in the dizzy has gone bad.
And no, it is not the same kind of coil that that you have replaced, this is a small one under the reluctor.
:bigok:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so would the dizzy cause the relay to click nonstop with the key on? That's for the reply. Must have gotten the forums mixed up somewhere.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Yep sure will.

BTW, if the TFI is not a true "Motorcraft" one, get one and install it, even the pick n pull used one is better than the BWD or wells. The timing map in the parts store one sucks and pulls too much timing.

But this is a Honda fourm... so what do I know??

<<<--- If my name makes sense.. you will do as I suggest

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Thanks a lot. I will give that a try. Is the part I need called a dizzy or is there a technical name for it.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Dizzy is fourm speak for distributor

Also since you did not know what I was speaking of, please go join a Ford or mustang fourm

Use the search and and read up on how to change/swap/R&R the distributor

It is not quite a drop and go deal

·
Registered
71 Posts
my question is does it crank or not? because if he installed the battery backwards........ that will make a lot of things click.....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I am sure the guy who owns a fake SVO mustang knows what he is talking about, but before you go crazy make sure the terminals are on the right posts on the battery, and make sure the connections are good on the batter terminals and where they attach, especially the ground wires.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Joel.... If you look at the list of parts he has already thrown at it you can see he really wants to spend money and do the "shotgun" method of repair.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
987 Posts
I want a late 80's mustang body on a early 90's 4x4 bronco frame with a chevy 454 in it.

Oh and don't just assume you have enough fuel pressure throw a gauge on that bitch and find out takes like 5 min!

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Joel.... If you look at the list of parts he has already thrown at it you can see he really wants to spend money and do the "shotgun" method of repair.
What do you know "fake SVO" lol?

Have you ever tried building a bird house with a shotgun?

Just noticed the back-handed "Thanks" :taz:

This is even posted in the wrong location. sigh :nono:

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
BogusSVO or RangerSVO... the build for a beater is about the same.. lol

DSCF4468.JPG

I miss that old rust bucket!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
BogusSVO or RangerSVO... the build for a beater is about the same.. lol

View attachment 79305

I miss that old rust bucket!
The 2.3 turbo was a fun engine at the time. My brother had a Merkur XR4Ti, was kinda like an overweight Cadillac version of the SVO, and even it was pretty fun. I am sure the lighter version was a blast. If I remember right some state used them as highway patrol cars even though they didnt have a back seat. Basically police interceptors that had to call in a crown vic for backup if they needed to arrest anyone.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
The old 2.3T is a heavy pig, but damn durable, Ford did a few things right with it, factory forged pistons and Inconal faced exhaust valves.

I had 3 Xr's at one point. damn funky rubber doughnut drive shaft bushing and a weak 5 speed mixed with an ECU that a 2 dollar digital watch has more computing power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts