Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an issue with my L3 transmission after a second gear romp with a 75 hp shot of nos. All things pointed to the nearly new clutch/pressure and flywheel but they look great. I cannot shift the gears while the engine is running but shifts fine when the engine is off. I have the case off the trans and nothing is broken or bent and things rotate as they should. Any idea’s? Thanks! Greg

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,535 Posts
throw out? slave?

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The throw out also is fine and it is cable shifted.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,482 Posts
L3 Si is not cable shifted.

Likely the clutch disc from the lack of other info and pics

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
809 Posts
Are you able to rev match/powershift at all? Like, slot through the gears without using the clutch and only revmatching? Not recommended to do all the time, but for diagnostic purposes, it would prove out that you can in fact still operate the shift mechanism inside the transmission, and focus on clutch engagement/disengagement issues.

I know you said the trans was apart now, but the way you describe things, something could be hanging keeping the input shaft turning. Flywheel/Input shaft support bearing seize up? It doesn't take much input shaft loading from the engine to make it very difficult to slide the engagement sleeves.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a PL3/3000 and is cable shifted and Its from my 89 CRX si. I should have been more clear. Sorry

slo edit* not sure why op, but there was a link for a restaurant in with the images.....was this intentional or is d-so acting up. so far 2 of these randomly placed links have showed up

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you able to rev match/powershift at all? Like, slot through the gears without using the clutch and only revmatching? Not recommended to do all the time, but for diagnostic purposes, it would prove out that you can in fact still operate the shift mechanism inside the transmission, and focus on clutch engagement/disengagement issues.

I know you said the trans was apart now, but the way you describe things, something could be hanging keeping the input shaft turning. Flywheel/Input shaft support bearing seize up? It doesn't take much input shaft loading from the engine to make it very difficult to slide the engagement sleeves.
Thanks drtalon! I know the only thing that seems logical is the clutch mechanism but it looks like it did when I installed it 10k miles ago and shows very very little wear.. The pilot bearing is free and smooth as is the throw out. The clutch cable is intact and the clutch disc and pressure plate along with the flywheel are all same as new with 10k miles.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
At the present time I’m thinking, as was suggested, that something was in a bit of a bind and maybe is now free because with the case off it and rotating through the gears it seems to be perfect. I’m not sure what the binding was/is tho.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
L3 Si is not cable shifted.

Likely the clutch disc from the lack of other info and pics
Let me clarify what I should have posted initially, it is cable clutched.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slo edit* not sure why op, but there was a link for a restaurant in with the images.....was this intentional or is d-so acting up. so far 2 of these randomly placed links have showed up
I saw that too and don't have a clue where that came from unless it was from the photo host I used. ?

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have just bought 4 L3 transmissions and all are 90-91 (cable clutched). Two are CRX si PL3/3000 large bearing and one is known good and one is known bad. The other two are CRX dx and are known good. All good transmissions pass the bench test. I plan on an attempt to rebuild the recently purchased bad CRX si transmission and learn something. I removed the case and saw the lsd is in pieces.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Clutch pedal looks great and felt great. I did try adjusting the cable all the way out and in to verify I had adjustment and travel. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyway, I found and bought a 90-91 CRX si transmission and installed it along with new Exedy clutch and life is good. I did remove the 75 hp nitrous jets and installed the 50 hp jets because....well just because.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts