Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled upon a well maintained 1989 CRX Si while looking through local craigslist ads and Honda parts. A few days later, several conversations, and a long test drive, I purchased the car at what felt like a fair price.

The car has definitely been maintained by an enthusiast. I do believe he went wrong in a few spots and I plan on changing those.

Lets start with some photos!

The car has good condition climate controls and the dash/door cars are all in good condition. There is a blemish on the top of the dash, nothing extreme. The AC and heat both function very well. I live in Florida and on the drive home I turned the AC down to fan speed 2. I believe the heat in dex was 105* F that afternoon. The AC has been converted to R134A, which is a huge bonus in my opinion.

The functionality continues to the sunroof and trunk. Neither struggle to function nor do either of them currently leak. The hood pops without trouble and so does the trunk and gas lid.

The car has had the rear drums replaced with disk brakes and the E-Brake functions perfectly.

The CRX Si OE front seats are in excellent condition. They sport minor discoloration but no rips, tears, or worn down padding. The boast a ton of comfort compared to the STD seats in my hatch. Continuing with the seats, the rear has been converted to a JDM rear seat set up. While leg space is non-existent, it is a nice touch.

The factory head liner is in mint condition with no tears, streaks, markings or noticeable wear. The carpet is all in good condition. Nothing outstanding from the floor carpet, but it is definitely useable and doesn't show large wear.

The transmission has no pops but does have a grind while shifting into 3rd gear at RPM higher than 2,000. The stock clutch has been upgraded to a OE replacement Exedy clutch kit that is extremely smooth.

The car has been resprayed Rio Red in 2013. The clear coat could use a professional cut and buff as far as orange peel is concerned, but it shines very well and has a deep coloration. I'm happy that it was painted the OE color and that they went with a 2-stage paint set up instead of cheaping out with a single stage 'color match'.

The car has been lowered from stock height on ground control coilover sleeves and -I forgot the name- shocks. A smooth ride, doesn't bottom out, but does struggle with some drainage frequently found and steep drive ways. I would have opted for a slightly higher ride height. But the sleeves are adjustable so that is not out of the question.

The car has GSR blades with 195/50R15 tires in decent condition. Nothing to write home about, but it won't need new tires for a long time. The car also has OE mudflaps. They are all present and well maintained.

Unfortunately, there are some bad things. While the motor does run and test drove fabulously, I do not believe the engine management was done right. The D16A6 has had a head swap to a D16Y8 head and the pistons swapped to P29 pistons. This sports a ridiculous compression ratio that I believe has been tuned with rich fuel ratios and best guess timing.

The battery is no longer in the engine bay, something I plan on reversing. For a daily driver, I think the safety of the battery being in the engine bay and the ease of wiring is something that shouldn't be passed up.

The transmission does have it's grind. A rebuild kit from Synchrotech or a rebuilt transmission from Synchrotech is in order. It may be a while before that is replaced since it really doesn't affect the daily drivability of the car.

Lastly, the exhaust is an eBay special exhaust. The previous owner mentioned attempting to find a HKS exhaust but didn't have much luck so this was a 'temp' fix. I plan on replacing it with something near stock.

Goal for the car is a decent daily driver. I don't drive much, about 5 miles a day. And for anything longer than that or with the family, I have a Honda Fit. Things to come:

Remove P29 pistons and replace with new P2P pistons
Replace exhaust with stock twin tip exhaust from RockAuto
Raise the coilover sleeves
Move battery to engine bay
Convert to OBD1
General maintenance
Transmission overhaul

Questions:

Who do you guys trust for stock basemap ROMs? I have a NeptuneRTP demon board that I run in my other car. This car will likely need a Y8 basemap on a chip. I have 3-4 chipped P28s but none of them are stock BIN ROMs (Z6), which I've heard isn't even the most desirable with a Y8 build.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clean ride, mine looked like that... about 25 years ago lol.
haha! I'm excited to hit the 30 year mark with this car and get antique plates. Have you seriously owned a CRX for 25 years? :D

I'm looking for some exhaust tip covers. I think the twin tips on the exhaust I'm getting are 1.5". I'd like some basic SS tips to cover them up. The exhaust itself is aluminized steel iirc.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
A crx with back seats lol. My back pack wont fit back there, looks great though. I like the ones I dont see here everyday, most have the rear deck instead of the seat option like Japan got, and most European markets if I am not mistaken. Looks like a solid car for your plans.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
No, I haven't owned one that long. About 7 years and drove it 10 times maybe. It keeps giving me problems so I grounded it.

I can't really see the exhaust in your pics but nothing looks better than a twin tip and the 2nd gen CRX.

The blades on your car, are they stock finish or did you polish them or have them dipped?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A crx with back seats lol. My back pack wont fit back there, looks great though. I like the ones I dont see here everyday, most have the rear deck instead of the seat option like Japan got, and most European markets if I am not mistaken. Looks like a solid car for your plans.
Yeah! It is literally ALMOST useless. I'd say you can slide the passenger seat up and fit a guy in there sideways. Maybe a child or two. It does make for some decent storage that is accessible from the front seat.

No, I haven't owned one that long. About 7 years and drove it 10 times maybe. It keeps giving me problems so I grounded it.

I can't really see the exhaust in your pics but nothing looks better than a twin tip and the 2nd gen CRX.

The blades on your car, are they stock finish or did you polish them or have them dipped?
Dang! Sounds like my hatch! Nothing but a problem child.

I have a photo of the exhaust and it is terrible.

The twin tip HKS is the dream exhaust for a CRX, in my opinion. The one I picked up is closer to a stock exhaust and I think it will turn out well. It should be much closer to the body than this exhaust. Also, it will be quiet which is something I desperately want. The windows down and the sunroof open is amazing. I just don't care for the drone.

The blades are stock finish, just cleaned. I don't believe it was a professional polish job.

My wife loves the CRX so far. Hopefully I will have some of the more 'mandatory' things done soon so it can see the street on a regular basis.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I bet your car gets cold with its balls on the ground like that. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet your car gets cold with its balls on the ground like that. ;)
:surrender: LOL. I drove behind this car and it just looks ridiculous with this exhaust. Definitely excited to get a thinner muffler under there.

The unit will be mild steel. I'm thinking of coating it with VHT high temp paint and finding some 1 5/8" SS pipe and making my own tips to slide over the stock pipe. Just some clamps to hold them on I suppose. I'll figure that out. Blingy exhaust tips are on my radar, but not pressing.

I will, just to mention, be painting the valve cover while I have it off. Anyone have a quality wrinkle paint they have used? I want it to look boring. Like DPFI boring :D

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
where in florida are you?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
I know where its at. got family up in bushnell.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Nice car. I gave up trying to find another CRX. Every one I come across is in terrible condition or people are asking $6K or more for it. Sigh...

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Nice car. I gave up trying to find another CRX. Every one I come across is in terrible condition or people are asking $6K or more for it. Sigh...
Import one straight from JDMland, they're old enough now

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
The VHT wrinkle black works just fine. Just don't spray it beyond a light-medium coat or the wrinkles will get really deep!

This is what their wrinkle red looks like and when you put it on too thick:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know where its at. got family up in bushnell.
I know quite a few people who live out that way.

That's pretty much why I had to buy this one. I've wanted a CRX for a long time. I think it has finally eclipsed the VW Beetle as my favorite car. It was a fair deal overall and the body was in great shape and so was the interior. Engines are simple.

Import one straight from JDMland, they're old enough now
25 years is the import limit, right? I've heard mixed things, but for the price of importing a car I would go with something on the higher end. A lot of your fees are just flat fees.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I know quite a few people who live out that way.

That's pretty much why I had to buy this one. I've wanted a CRX for a long time. I think it has finally eclipsed the VW Beetle as my favorite car. It was a fair deal overall and the body was in great shape and so was the interior. Engines are simple.

25 years is the import limit, right? I've heard mixed things, but for the price of importing a car I would go with something on the higher end. A lot of your fees are just flat fees.
Yeah. But the ones from Japan are mostly b16as with LSD transmissions, a little better than a d16a6 ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice rex ! Nothing like a clean ed9.

Look foward to a build thread !

Stratton.
It will be pretty straight forward. I'll have an update Monday though!

Yeah. But the ones from Japan are mostly b16as with LSD transmissions, a little better than a d16a6
Haha, just a little better! A SiR would be awesome. I do actually like the D16A6 a lot though. They are pretty decent engines overall. I would mind a LSD in the Si.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts