Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Honda Civic that has a d16a1 swap from an 89 Integra. All the wiring is from the Integra . I replaced and reseated the valves , new MLS head gasket , arp headstuds , and all new ignition system - distributor , wires , plugs , and the car starts and runs but I am throwing a code 4 ( CPS ) and a code 20 (ELD) and the car is cutting rpms at about 3500 and car won't go past about 65 mph . I tried replacing the CPS with one from the junk yard and still have the same problem. Tried a new ecu , same problem still .I've went over all the wiring everything is grounded and plugged in properly , the timing is good .so I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix it . If not I was thinking of going obd1 . Any feedback is helpful.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Does your civic even have an ELD?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
In the fuse block.

·
Registered
952 Posts
code 4 is for the Crank Sensor which is inside the distributor - about the only way to fix it, to keep it from going into limp mode is to replace the distributor

something wrong with the Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft will throw a code 9 and is usually a wiring problem - the sensor seldom fails

Code 20 is generally caused by a bad alternator - usually failed diodes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
code 4 is for the Crank Sensor which is inside the distributor - about the only way to fix it, to keep it from going into limp mode is to replace the distributor

something wrong with the Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft will throw a code 9 and is usually a wiring problem - the sensor seldom fails

Code 20 is generally caused by a bad alternator
Alright I'll try a better distributor because I did get a cheap one off eBay so that might be the problem

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
This is how all threads should be. Problem -> suggestions -> solution.

Not some dickhead noob who posts, gets advice, and never returns with the outcome.

Good on ya OP, glad it’s fixed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts