Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if you can put a 16 valve head on 8 valve block.. a friend is wanting me to replace the 8 valve head on his CX engine (d15b8) with a 16 valve d15b7 head.

ive never really paid any attention to the pistons in a cx engine. are there valve reliefs for just two valves on the pistons like how there is 4 valve reliefs on the dx pistons?

basically just need to know if i can just swap the heads without fearing the valves hitting the pistons or something.. thanks!

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
I believe bone said...8 valve relief pistons only cam in 92. 93 started using the d15b7 pistons which have 16 valve reliefs.

·
Registered
95 civic hb
97 Posts
I believe bone said...8 valve relief pistons only cam in 92. 93 started using the d15b7 pistons which have 16 valve reliefs.
Yea I believe thats correct, I have a 95 d15b8 and it has 16 valve reliefs, and my friend has a 94 and its the same also. Well wait for bone tho for the earlier years..

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well can anyone else confirm that 93-95 had b7 pistons before i tear the engine apart? well i guess i could always look down the spark plug hole maybe and see if i can see anything..

im pretty sure ive heard of people swapping 16 valve heads on their 8valve blocks before, but just want to be sure.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
well can anyone else confirm that 93-95 had b7 pistons before i tear the engine apart? well i guess i could always look down the spark plug hole maybe and see if i can see anything..

im pretty sure ive heard of people swapping 16 valve heads on their 8valve blocks before, but just want to be sure.
it should be very easy to see, the 8 valve pistons have a good dome on them and only 2 valve reliefs. the 4 valve relief pistons will have no dome and 4 valve reliefs. I belive that in the early 90's is when they changed it over ill have to look it up.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch back
156 Posts
Yea I believe thats correct, I have a 95 d15b8 and it has 16 valve reliefs, and my friend has a 94 and its the same also. Well wait for bone tho for the earlier years..
well I had a d15b8 in my car and it had the 16 valve reliefs, it is a 92 hatch cx, canadian version, so maybe that's why it had the 16 valve reliefs....

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
The best is to clay it. I tought that bisimoto stage 2 cam with a6 pistons under y7 head (and 2 layer head gasket) will have some contact due to valve relief location and size. Nothing less than .250 of clearance. This is more than enough, you might be surprise.

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
I had a 93 with 4 valve pistons. Id say your good to go. If your worried about it buy new pistons and return them if you dont need them.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
yea..I swapped a 16 valve b7 head on my 92 cx block

the newer year (d15b8's) have 4 valve reliefs on each piston
the older crx with the d15b8 (If I'm all correct)
have 2 valve reliefs on each piston

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,533 Posts
hey newbie, either invest in a $500 bore scope or rip the head off.

Really, posts like this sadden me.......

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i dont mess with cx's. it was just a quick harmless question for people who have done it before. dont need to spend $500 on a boroscope so i can swap a $10 head onto a $5 block. :hammer:

·
Registered
95 civic hb
97 Posts
sorry i dont mess with cx's. it was just a quick harmless question for people who have done it before. dont need to spend $500 on a boroscope so i can swap a $10 head onto a $5 block. :hammer:
Dont worry man, you got a fast car.. sheesh almost in the 10's.. haha , j/k :TU:

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i did use the search but the search on here sucks, never works for me.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts

I'm sure you know that Bones bark is worst then his bite. You've been around long enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my '95 CX block had 4 valve pistons in it, I just completed a B7 head swap a few days ago, what a difference :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts