Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonderring what would be a safe PSI to run on stock internals with a 14b turbo and sidemount intercooler? Everyone says that 8 psi is the highest you can go safely but everyone says that psi doesn't mean anything. It all depends on the turbo. It's not PSI that kills an engine it's horsepower. So what would be a safe PSI to run on stock internals (d16z6)?? THANKS

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
get some real fuel management first, the vafc is your limiting factor...

if i were running a 14b, id max out the stock map sensor(11.5psi). i ran 12psi on my t3 .42/.48 which is bigger than a 14b and i never had a problem

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually in the process of hooking up Crome right now. Should be set up within the next week. here's (http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?p=84689#84689) a link to my thread helping me set it all up. I'm going to have Eric Myers (http://webpages.charter.net/esmyers/) Tune it.

If I hook up a boost controller to the vacuum line to the turbo I should be able to squeeze more PSI out of it despite the 8psi internal waste gate right??

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
assuming you have a good tune, psi doesn't matter. the stress on the engine is determined by power output... NOT psi.

run the wastegate vac source to the IM, you should see .5-1psi more than going directly to the compressor housing.
with a 14b, you'll likely never see full boost with the compressor housing being the WG source. i definitely recommend getting a vacuum manifold so you have a common source

·
Registered
274 Posts
my best friend has a d16y8 and he has boosted that motor on 10 psi iwth a 14b for about a half year now, minor problems such as a small oil leak in the return line, other than that has replaced nothing in the motor, its never been opened, although he did throw 2 rods on a y8 that was N/A stock...so i guess it all depends

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
my best friend has a d16y8 and he has boosted that motor on 10 psi iwth a 14b for about a half year now, minor problems such as a small oil leak in the return line, other than that has replaced nothing in the motor, its never been opened, although he did throw 2 rods on a y8 that was N/A stock...so i guess it all depends
y8s have oil feed problems to the engine at higher rpms.........they like to throw bearings.

·
Registered
274 Posts
its not a large problem, its a tiny leak, and it hasnt gotten any bigger in the 6 months, hes really happy with the results, but he just got his block back from the shop, and hes gonna be running about 20 psi...i wouldnt trust a honda motor stock for boost really, you hear stories of 10 psi for 3 years then you hear oh N/A it died...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
You never know. A guy on HT made 375whp on a bone stock z6. Not saying that'll ever happen again lol but you never know. 10lbs does seem to be what most people run but I've seen several people running 12lbs with no problems at all...some even as much as 15lbs. And yes, the smaller the turbo is, you'll usually have to push more psi out of it to make it meet the same HP level as a bigger turbo...that's pretty much common sense stuff. I'd just take it to the dyno, get a real tuner to tune it, run like 5-6lbs for the 1st pull and then work your way up from there. See how the motor reacts and see how much power it's making. If it still feels good and strong at 10lbs and you don't mind taking the chance and you still want more power, then go ahead and up to 12 or so and see how that goes. Just be careful. You'll need a really good tune for 10-12lbs. A nice tune will make a huge difference in power and how long the motor lasts and how much it can take.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
No it's real lol. Hold on and I'll find the link. He's still running it from what I understand. The car is not daily driven though. It's a track car. He has a built motor sitting around waiting to be thrown in if and after this one blows.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
lol...you don't know what you're talking about man. I just told you he's been running it. If I remember right, it ran an 11 something. Im gonna find that link for you right now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.