Honda D Series Forum banner

11's Best Route.... Nitrous or Turbo?

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Haysoos 
#1 · (Edited)
Okie...so I just installed the centerforce dual friction clutch, zc trans and obx lsd and love it! But I put a hold on tuning my car yatta yatta. I will be purchasing the parts over the fall and building a "z6" ported head, valve springs,valves,ret, proseries from jgengine and then building a bottom end @ a local shop. Srp pistons and Eagle Rods. Now by the time that is built arround march 2008 I will be spraying the shit out of my D15b.

Anywho the question is... Spray or Boost? I havent driven a boosted d series or honda only a talon... and in all honesty my D16z6 on a 50 shot was more fun. I know 24-7 and transzex are some nitrous gurus but if others can chip in there 0.02 it would be great :) Im thinking of getting a good set of headers bisi etc, better intake & tb combo etc if I go all motor. Local shop has a D16z6 with a ported head by JG making 160ish whp. stock bottom end. So if i go spray a bit higher comp. So even if im pushing 165 whp n/a daily i'll be happy. But then I unno which shot to go with? 120 direct port (Zex) and a 50 single foger from N.O.S. ? This same local shop has built a eg hatch with a gs-R on 160 shot running 11.3. Slicks, built bottom end and 160 shot. Bone stock head. I know 24-7 has seen 11's on a 100 shot but he also has a gutted crx.
My car is a 94 civic si coupe. Removed a/c and power steering, removed rear seat tar etc, cf trunk and cf hood. So would 120 shot be enough?

or

Do I go boost? I just dont want the maintence issues of boost....if my car runs 14's n/a i'll be happy I only want it to run good #'s atleast a high 11 with slicks @ track....so I wouldnt mind having a 160ish whp n/a daily but with a direct port for track days....

Please help me out guys... the Nitrous set-up would obviously be cheaper... but would a D16z6 with srp pistons and eagle rods handle a 120+ shot constantly?Also what am I looking at? A seperate fuel cell? for the Nitrous?

Zex has claimed 13.31 w/75 shot(stockmotor). Now will a 120 shot,lsd,built motor(as apposed to stock) bring my coupe to 11's?

See less See more
#6 ·
I have to agree.. You want to go boost if you want to squeeze out max hp.... Shhhh dont tell anyone I sadi that.. lol

#8 ·
$4 a pound to fill a bottle, $40 a week, thats $2000 a year.

Reason I went ZEX kit was I got it cheap, knew I could resell it for just less than what I paid, and was getting Nytrous+ at $1 a pound.

#14 ·
i of course am going to say boost. you never have to refill a bottle. power is always there when you need it. and when you dont need boost its easy to stay out of it. seems to be pretty consistent with my setup, as well as realiable. not to say that nitrous isnt reliable; it still needs tunning just like any other high power setup. nitrous will give you nice bottom end torque, but the turbo setup pulls soo hard on the topend. ive been happy with boost.

#20 ·
i dont know why but i have always considered nitrous cheating lol. but for best results and if money isnt a huge issue i would do both. like drunkinmaster said a 50 shot on a larger turbo would be fucking sweet. easy to stay out of boost for daily driving but still alwasy available power if needed. but u only have the cash for one then turbo that bitch. way more fun for daily driving. more potential in the long run. and nothing beats the sound of as spooling tubo and blow off valve at 7000+ rpm.

#21 ·
I'm spraying my H23 in my CRX. I say spray it for a while and if you're not happy you can always resell the kit and put the money towards a turbo kit. Also if you spray it, I'd go w/ a 11:1+ CR. Just my .02

EDIT: FIRST!!!!!!

#23 ·
Still cost money even from the local moron that will sell the medical grade off his delivery truck.... It sucks

#25 ·
:werd: I'll be in the same boat once my H23 is done. As long as I'm winning the race I'm never going to touch it unless the guy I'm racing has a hot girl w/ and I just really want to humiliate him.

#34 ·
I'd say go turbo, you can always spray it later if it's not enough for ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.