Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Member Profile - TheZCR.com Photo Gallery

The projected started since 1998 on a daily driver. I purchased the CRX Si back in 1989 for $13,000 CASH out the door.

ZC installed in 2001 w/ Zdyne SECU
SC installed in 2003 w/ assistance by Chris on the ZC board. w/ Zdyne SECU

Mods:

-ZC started w/ 170 ish compression. Currently its about mid 140ish w/ some blue smoke : (
-compression about 9:1
-Head ported and polished by JG EngineDynamic spring, vales, 5(I) and 3(E) angles
-Throttle Body by JG
-SC mod by Endyn (theoldone i guess) w/ extra pulley, dont know what psi?
-Stock pulley
-Trust Exhaust original(not Greedy) no cat.
-DC 4-2-1 header
-HKS intake
-Mitsu 450 injectors
-Stock pump
-Morrosso Integ oil pan w/ 5.5 qrts
-Stock tranny w/ QUAIFE LSD w/ 320,000 original tranny miles.
-ACT street clutch
-JUN sprockets set to ZERO (not much variation when adjusted)
-1-22-12 has full odb1 mod w/ Neptune RTP and LC-1 wideband.
-elevation 6000ft above sea.
-Charge temp average at 115 deg.(out side 45-50)

The ZC has been running rich for almost 10years. I have been meaning to get it dynoed but never really had time to show it in Denver during working week. SECU is great for the time but lacking data log and wideband. Im sure rings are toast. CRX has 320,000 on chassis. ZC has 80,000+ of average daily driving. The install has been working flawless. Power is quick but NOT fast....LOL My expectation was about 150ish w suck low compression. ODB1 w/ data log is amazing. The delivery of power is astonishing, it pulls decent even not in boost. Why haven't i did this 10years ago?

I am now looking the bring the compression backup but dont really know how to approach it.

Attachments

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Nice, dyno is about what I would expect given your mods.

Out of curiosity, which Zdyne tune were you using? Was it one of the included ones like shawn2.zdy?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
At 4200+ is your problem area. You won't carry torque to the limiter but as soon as boost levels it starts to fall. It's a bottlekneck. There's another 10-15 whp in her. Pics please...140psi can make more power. Oil rings and compression rings are showih signs of glazing.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Seems like a real legit setup, Id go ahead and build it with pistons and rods, upgrade the ECU, injectors, fuel pump, and throw some more boost at it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Legit as in not thrown together, or missing much. You know, slang.

BTW I admire you for keeping this as a first owner, that is rare in this community. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My expectation was about 150ish w suck low compression.
you also have to take into account that you did dyno on a "Heart Breaker" Dyno Dynamics...they tend to read 10-15% lower than other dynos. plus it doesnt help that your N/A and dynoing at 6700 feet elevation...i was tuned at Revolutions Performance and made 360whp on their dyno...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, dyno is about what I would expect given your mods.

Out of curiosity, which Zdyne tune were you using? Was it one of the included ones like shawn2.zdy?

What file do u need? I was running the same file from Chris(CRXRock "ZC God"). He was running the same setup that was dynoed. I have all the files.

I seem to recall that screen name from the mists of time long past.
R you volunteering to help w/ the rebuild? LOL

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
What file do u need? I was running the same file from Chris(CRXRock "ZC God"). He was running the same setup that was dynoed. I have all the files.
Na, I don't need any files. Just wondering if you were running one of the pre-made tunes that came with the BinHacker software but I totally forgot that you were running a ZC.

Seems like most of the pre-made tunes that came with the BinHacker software were for JRSC D16a6's so I have a couple good base maps to work off of.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Youll have to pull the head and look at it to see what condition the cylinder walls are in. But some new piston rings and getting the head or block shaved some will help up the ratio as well. Or some bigger piston's will net you more compression.

Is the engine showing 140 across each cylinder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
is the zc that good ?
Most Honda motors r great. The ZC allow me to keep the weight ratio the same for better handling. The B's r nice for going straight HP, not so good for handling. Too much weight at the front. Ohhh, how I do enjoy the curves...........

If you are close enough, yes. If not, I can at least advise.
Beaver, your in CO?

Is the engine showing 140 across each cylinder.
Mid 140s low 150s : ( Fuel smell in the oil.......LOL

Contacted Endyn for a new build. I know nothing about building engines. They gave me 3" pulley w/ the mod but dont know how many psi. Im tempted to just slap it on and see what happens. Looking at 11to1 one on the new build w/ the 3" pulley.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
I would think hard about your decision to have endyn build your block. Don't get me wrong, they do excellent work but their customer service is shit.

They quoted me 3-4 weeks to do my A6 cylinder head which ended up taking nearly 4 months to get back to me. The 4 months doesn't bother me...it's the fact that they didn't even bother to call or email me to give me an update which really urks me. I had to send several emails (in which I was very polite and understanding) to get a 1 line response several days later that always had some kind of excuse. Finally, during the 3rd month, Larry send me a email saying that they've been working on some project for the US post office, blah blah blah...whatever.

The worst part? All I did was ask Larry to cover the shipping back to me, given that I had just spent $3000 and waited 4x longer than he quoted me and he refused to do it.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share my experience before you spend top dollar and get dicked around like I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts