Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok maybe not 101 but I am trying to have a crash course on d series ish so I can build one. I am selling all my b stuff to go d cause its cheaper.

To go 10's with ex/si trans is 24.5" really better than 23" slicks (23" would be geared better for quarter but 24.5" should give better 60ft but be harder on trans)

At what hp does the d series trans begin to brake to much? (preloading correctly)

Is there a d2b that anyone knows about besides the one project d made and won't reproduce

Is the y8 oil pump not as good as the z6/a6 oil pump setup

Is the y8 block a decent block or is z6 better

Is there really a big difference from the z6 to y8 head (I know the timing is different but do they make about the same power tuned good)

How often do d series axles break

What is the best boosted intake manifold (hope skunk2 pro is decent cause I have one)

Is crower turbo cam a good cam, seems like alot of people run the zex cam but I would think valve overlap would be crap cause its not a turbo cam.

anybody with experience feel free to help, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Ok maybe not 101 but I am trying to have a crash course on d series ish so I can build one. I am selling all my b stuff to go d cause its cheaper.

Is there a d2b that anyone knows about besides the one project d made and won't reproduce

****i thought bisi made one but i am not sure

****the pump is weak aswell as the block. the has less oiling holes for the bearings which leads them to spin bearing more often. u can shim and port the pump to help with this.

***z6 better IMO

Is there really a big difference from the z6 to y8 head (I know the timing is different but do they make about the same power tuned good)

****y8 head is supposed to flow better. they are basically equal but the y8 has smaller combustion chamber so y8 head on z6 block will be higher compression which goes well with vitara's.

****not very ofter if preloaded correctly but they are limited. if serious u will need to look into gator axles or something alike

What is the best boosted intake manifold (hope skunk2 pro is decent cause I have one)

***skunk 2 is ok but over rated. i have heard alot of good about the blox intake as well as the performer x

Is crower turbo cam a good cam, seems like alot of people run the zex cam but I would think valve overlap would be crap cause its not a turbo cam.

***zex seems to be a favourite but crower zex and bisi all make excelent cams. i think the zex is the 59300 for the turbo cam?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
[/B][/B]

To go 10's with ex/si trans is 24.5" really better than 23" slicks (23" would be geared better for quarter but 24.5" should give better 60ft but be harder on trans)

At what hp does the d series trans begin to brake to much? (preloading correctly)

to run 10's id worry about the motor first.

the trans can take some abust. but to give an accurate breaking point. ill leave that question to tranzex

no d2b that ive ever heard of... the z6 tranny is geared nicely.

y8 pump sucks

z6 is better. (im gonna get flak for this)

head are different. but its close.. basically preference.

best intake manit for boost.. thats debateable. i personally love the y8 intake mani for boost

d axles wont brake if you know how to race.. theres a guy. i think kit88.. whos running 11's on stock axles.

crower cam isnt bad. but you also gotta take into thought of a full head build (assuming you want to run 10's) and that cam your thinking of may not be the best for your setup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for the fast responses

I am planning on making about 450 whp on stock block, stock head setup and building a sleeved d series shortblock to switch out and go for more power but am worried if the d series trans will hold up to like 550whp (I would be happy if I could get like 30-40 passes out of one) maybe treating the gears would be the way to go. I wasn't really concerned with the d2b for gearing but more for the reliability of the b series trans(plus I have a nice b series trans with lsd in my garage with new act clutch) It sounds like a6/z6 is the way to go with either head. What are your thoughts on slick sizes cause tranny would probably last longer on 23" tires?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks alot for the fast responses

I am planning on making about 450 whp on stock block, stock head setup and building a sleeved d series shortblock to switch out and go for more power but am worried if the d series trans will hold up to like 550whp (I would be happy if I could get like 30-40 passes out of one) maybe treating the gears would be the way to go. I wasn't really concerned with the d2b for gearing but more for the reliability of the b series trans(plus I have a nice b series trans with lsd in my garage with new act clutch) It sounds like a6/z6 is the way to go with either head. What are your thoughts on slick sizes cause tranny would probably last longer on 23" tires?
450 whp. let me knwo when you make your build thread. ill subscribe to that.

also. talk to tranzex if your seious about suck a big project. he can make your trans bullet proof

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
450 whp. let me knwo when you make your build thread. ill subscribe to that.

also. talk to tranzex if your seious about suck a big project. he can make your trans bullet proof
I don't know if I have the patients to do a build thread, lol

That is good to know because that is my only worry, I will have to contact him when I get the engine close to being done. thanks

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
I've heard of 500whp on a stock d tranny. The key to it is to not beat on the tranny like a red headed step child.

Stock axles hold up to a bit of abuse, most will tell you to preload your launch. Otherwise, make friends with Gator.

d2b - Was listed on Bisimoto's website. If you're really hard up for it I'm sure he has a kit layin around or can make you one. I'd put money on he'd want cash up front for it though as it's not as popular as the h/f-2b plates

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
kitt88 and i both ran stock axles well into the 11s, while i never broke one i did replace them every few months and would often note the splines actually starting to twist around.
The major problem that the 88-91 D trannys have is the crappy forks, its very common for high HP cars to break the 3rdand 4th gear fork.
when choosing a slick size for a FWD you always base your tire size off your power level, example or a great rule of thumb is under 300 22s 300 and a little over 23s and mid 300 to 400 ish 24.5s and it goes up from there.
The best guy to talk to about head work and cams/springs is bisi.
10s is going to be hard to get unless your using a very light race only set up.
your only real worry will be axles and trannys if you do end up with enough power to hit 10s, mike got tired of shearing gears every 2 days and came up with a way to put a cg tranny in his car , i think he is making a little over 400 to the wheels, and the darn adapters to run a b tranny are like hens teeth.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
One more question, are all three cranks the same d16y8, d16z6, d16a6?
a6 and y8 cranks are the same, they both have one oiling hole per journal, where as the z6 crankshaft (starting in mid 93) has two oiling holes per journal and is superior to the other two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kitt88 and i both ran stock axles well into the 11s, while i never broke one i did replace them every few months and would often note the splines actually starting to twist around.
The major problem that the 88-91 D trannys have is the crappy forks, its very common for high HP cars to break the 3rdand 4th gear fork.
when choosing a slick size for a FWD you always base your tire size off your power level, example or a great rule of thumb is under 300 22s 300 and a little over 23s and mid 300 to 400 ish 24.5s and it goes up from there.
The best guy to talk to about head work and cams/springs is bisi.
10s is going to be hard to get unless your using a very light race only set up.
your only real worry will be axles and trannys if you do end up with enough power to hit 10s, mike got tired of shearing gears every 2 days and came up with a way to put a cg tranny in his car , i think he is making a little over 400 to the wheels, and the darn adapters to run a b tranny are like hens teeth.
Yeah that shearing gears every other day is what I am afraid of. If it does then I would probably contact racersteve to treat them and see how it works. There are still struggles with d series it sounds like but at least they are a tenth of the price of b series. hehe I know what your saying about trying to find a d2b. I spoke with project d about the d2b that rota used and he said he won't make another one. And I have already sent a message to bisi about the d2b and am just waiting for a response, I also noticed how cheap his sleeves are and he is someone I could trust for sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a6 and y8 cranks are the same, they both have one oiling hole per journal, where as the z6 crankshaft (starting in mid 93) has two oiling holes per journal and is superior to the other two.
Thanks, very good info - so that crankshaft is superior but they will all still physically fit and work if needed?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Mike's CG trans thread may be gone from here, but it's still up over at H-T:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2276278

He still hasn't been able to break it apparently, which is pretty good considering how many d-series trans he broke! (and some of those were heat treated by racersteve)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts