Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am turboing my d15 and i here and see that on a z6, safe is about no more than 10 psi or 200 hp on stock internals. so my question is would that be the same on a d15b vtec?
then i started thinking is it which ever comes first, 10 psi or 200hp, or which comes last??

also if u have a turbo d15b waht psi hp numbers re u running?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
PSI and HP are really not related in the terms you are thinking. Any turbo can put out 10 psi, but if you take a little tiny turbo like an RHB5 and compare it to an SC61 you can see that the CFM it flows is truely the measure. The torque is what breaks the motor. A good tune is the key. Good guide line I guess is 9-11 psi depending on the turbo. 200 is good for a stock motor as a daily driven limit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your motor is just a D15B* non VTEC, I wouldn't put 10PSI on it for any length of time. The rods are tiny and you will be picking up parts off the highway after you boost a couple times.

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
I don't know too much about the d15b vtec but if the interal strengths are similar to a z6, you should be able to push 12psi with that turbo no problem.

I've run 12-13 on my stock z6 with a 60/48 no problem. It's all in the tune.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I put down 197whp on my D15B at 11ish psi. Just under what the map sensor can read. We basicaly turned up the boost until it threw the cel light on and backed it off. Put over 30k miles on it at that pressure and whp level.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Rex and Biz know whats up......its all about the tuning and management dude. If you have both setup well..... 200whp is no problem and the car will be reliable as well. Im running 238.5whp in my Z6 with stock internals and its working beautifully. Also like csaddict said 10psi on a t25 isnt the same as 10psi on an SC61, do your homework and you'll be good to go.

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
there is a shop in town called cybernation, they are rsx geniuses (spelling). they have theis management system called "black magic." this guy who left the shop to start his own said he will make a black magic for my car and tune it for me. he told me to get a vafc as well.
does this sould like a solid setup??

·
Registered
838 Posts
I personally think that the jdm d15b vtec is the best d-series engine to boost. those engines can take some serious abuse, rev higher and come with a more aggressive cam than the z6,y8. i made 215whp with my z6 at 10psi with greddy 15g. I dont know how much power my d15b made @ the same psi (same tune) but it felt like it pulled harder in the upper rpms. get some arphead studs, boost it and enjoy

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i called the guy i bought my motor from and he says that black magic is just as good as chrome or uberdata, and that a lot of it is the actual tuner

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
superdewey58 said:
there is a shop in town called cybernation, they are rsx geniuses (spelling). they have theis management system called "black magic." this guy who left the shop to start his own said he will make a black magic for my car and tune it for me. he told me to get a vafc as well.
does this sould like a solid setup??
You dont need a VAFC when you tune with crome/uber/hondata.....think about it twice before you ask him to tune your car....
I dont say that the ''black magic'' will not work but if his engine management is so HOT, in my mind you dont need a piggyback too.....

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
black magic sounds like he probably uses crome or uber...and calls himself black magic.

you could use the vafc to make minor adjustments if he gets you in the ball park, but if you're paying him a decent amount of money I wouldn't suggest using an afc, get a full tune. although if you're relying on someone else tuning it an afc might come in handy down the road if you change your setup, you'll need to make minor adjustments, which you can do with the afc.

But for the money invested in an afc, just buy tuning tools and learn how to do it.

I learned on an afc first, and there is no comparison to a stand alone such as uber or crome + the correct tools. like an eprom emulator, chip programmer/burner and wideband.

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i thought a vafc could do everything an afc could???

black magic is similar but it is not chipped in to the ecu

it will cost 360 plus the afc or vafc, which i think i can get for 100 or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts