·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my planned setup

D15b vtec engine
Standard length d16 rods
Vitaras

From asking around I learned that this will put the vitaras .012 out of the hole but would be fine once the head gasket is in place. Thanks to mr. Bone for the info and testing.

My question is if I run a .030 thick cometic hg is .018 going to be enough clearance? If not what size do you recommend?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
STD length rods mean which rods exactly? Is the D15b (JDM?) block different from a Z6? like the block height? Why would the Viataras be outside the bore?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The d15b vtec is a 1.5 block that runs d16 rods. They get away with that by using pistons with higher wrist pin holes.

Using d16 pistons would throw the piston way out of the block and into the head but vitaras have a higher wrist pin location close to the d15b pistons enabling them to be used but they stick .012 out of the deck.

The reason I was asking about a .30 comtec is because I didn't know the size of the z6 stocker and figured the .30 was close.

The rods are going to be standard length forged units from tuner toys or fjt.

So just use the d16z6 hg and all will be good?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
according to the zeal, you c/r will be about 8.3:1 with that setup which sounds good to me

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
The d15b vtec is a 1.5 block that runs d16 rods. They get away with that by using pistons with higher wrist pin holes.

Using d16 pistons would throw the piston way out of the block and into the head but vitaras have a higher wrist pin location close to the d15b pistons enabling them to be used but they stick .2mm out of the deck.

The reason I was asking about a .30 comtec is because I didn't know the size of the z6 stocker and figured the .30 was close.

The rods are going to be standard length forged units from tuner toys or fjt.

So just use the d16z6 hg and all will be good?
im not sure.. whats your compression going to be? and is that piston to head clearances?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't know what my cr will be because I don't know what hg to run yet.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. What thickness hg do I run to avoid the pistons from playing tag with the head. I have to keep them seperated all they do is cause trouble when they get together. :)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
according to the zeal, you c/r will be about 8.3:1 with that setup which sounds good to me
I don't know what my cr will be because I don't know what hg to run yet.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. What thickness hg do I run to avoid the pistons from playing tag with the head. I have to keep the seperated all they do is cause trouble when they get together. :)
that was done with a z6 HG, d15 block and crank, d16 rods and vitaras

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8.3:1 is a good cr for boost. That's what I was wondering.

If anyone has a boosted vitara build please list what hg you used.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
i thin about 90% of people here use OEM honda ones. i know Fel-pro ones are really good aswell

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
i do believe he meant .020, or thats what im assuming

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
dude, your numbers do not compute, verify them.

.20 is NOT POSSIBLE, thats almost a quarter inch!
Sorry bone. shoulda checked your pm first.

According to bones Pm the vitaras will be .012"

So now that I have the right info :hammer: would the z6 gasket still work?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
you wanna run a .3 headgasket??? they dont even make that...lol .030msl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends on your intended RPM range and which rods you're using, but that's too tight IMO. Check Endyn's website and look at their 2.0 liter buildup. At 9500 rpm and .032 head to piston clearance, the engine hammered the pistons badly enough to shatter them. That was also on aftermarket rods IIRC, and I'd imagine the stockers might stretch a bit more.

I'm going to be shooting for zero-decked pistons and a .037 head gasket with squared-up squish pads on my Y8 head for my next build. I don't plan to spin it above 8000 though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts