Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the next phase of my build, I can mill the A6 head down some so I'll have 10:1 compression with a Z6 gasket. Other than a Z6 IM and mild porting, it will be stock, including the cam.

Would there be any gains from street tuning this setup, or will the stock ECU be able to deal with it naturally?

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to build a budget logging/tuning setup, but it looks like the minimum is going to be around $500 to get my feet wet. I think I might be best off sharing the cost with a local.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, maybe I've been looking too much at all the stuff on moates.net.....

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'd REALLY like to do is set up my own OBD0 logging/tuning.

I already have the newest TurboEdit (that is supposed to handle datalogging), a laptop, a chipped PM6, and a chip burner... I figured I'd need to get a bunch of cables and a wide-band 02...but do I need a wideband controller?

·
Administrator
Honda
6,993 Posts
What I'd REALLY like to do is set up my own OBD0 logging/tuning.

I already have the newest TurboEdit (that is supposed to handle datalogging), a laptop, a chipped PM6, and a chip burner... I figured I'd need to get a bunch of cables and a wide-band 02...but do I need a wideband controller?
Where there is a will there is a way. It will cost you more, be more of a headache and probably less gain.

You will need a WB Controller to read the wideband ;)

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Original question. Will a street tune be beneficial. Fuel; if the porting and z6 manifold actually increase air flow at any rpm, the afr is going to change. you can add a little more fuel in open loop to accomplish your desired afr. but this afr is guess to what people have had success with on dyno's. Know that I think about it I haven't seen a lot of " which afr ended up making the most power on x setup on the dyno". so your shooting for a afr based on others results and feel ( with is hard to say if any on the street). but you can adjust.

timing, anything that allows more air or compression is technically going to effect timing. again on the street your going by detonation and feel. will you benefit from a street tune on your setup, probably not that much if at all. it does give you the ability to tune the fuel and timing if say your knocking. krycheck has a good point. especially if your already obd1. to just have it dyno tuned. I opted to tune everything myself, but I'm never going to make the power.

My only fear of dyno tuning is, if my setup changes of course, and IAT and startup/ect enrichment. its nice to see afr, datalog, change things, like vtec, rev limit, etc. without having to go back to the "tuner"

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thought I would log the AFR and try to correct it where it was too rich or lean, not based on feel.

Krycheck, I've priced OBD1 conversion harnesses, ecu, and distibutor... How did you do all that for $100?

·
10,488 Posts
I thought I would log the AFR and try to correct it where it was too rich or lean, not based on feel.

Krycheck, I've priced OBD1 conversion harnesses, ecu, and distibutor... How did you do all that for $100?

what's rich and what's lean? whats your target afr?

I hooked krycheck up. I had dam near everything to convert myself.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what's rich and what's lean? whats your target afr?
I'm a noob...anything that's too far away from 14.7 is too rich or lean isnt it?

Is it even possible to dyno tune with OBD0 and TurboEdit?

·
10,488 Posts
I'm a noob...anything that's too far away from 14.7 is too rich or lean isnt it?

Is it even possible to dyno tune with OBD0 and TurboEdit?

yes, lower then 14.7 is rich. but what afr are you going for? even if you can datalog and have a wbo2, what's your target? what I'm getting at is that on the dyno your tuning afr for power. you can't do that on the street.

y can't you dyno tune on obd0? you don't tune with the dyno per say. a dyno just tell you power output.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yes, lower then 14.7 is rich. but what afr are you going for? even if you can datalog and have a wbo2, what's your target? what I'm getting at is that on the dyno your tuning afr for power. you can't do that on the street.
So on the street you can only really fix problematic areas, but getting 14.7 everywhere doesnt necessarily mean the most power...right?

y can't you dyno tune on obd0? you don't tune with the dyno per say. a dyno just tell you power output.
Go to a dyno and use their wideband, and making adjustments via TurboaEdit and some kind of real-time editor would be a better route then?

Thanks for all the clear and helpful info btw. Contrary to widespread claims, pgmfi.org doesn't really explain these fundamental things all that well...I've gotten more out of this thread today than the many nights I've spent reading at pgmfi.

·
10,488 Posts
yes, u can tune the whole map. yes, 14.7 is ether the most efficient or makes the most power. you can tune to whatever afr u want on the street. I'm just saying that its possible to make the most power from a wide range of afr. you don't know. A thread should be started asking the question, for those that have dyno tuned there car what afr made the most power. ???? This is all theory as I've never dyno tuned a car.

I wouldn't want to tune it myself on someone elses dyno as I have no experience, but yeah I don't see why someone couldn't do a tune for you on TE. the software is capable of tuning fuel and timing. I'm sure its a time and experience thing with obd1. and they probably have tunes from other cars that they can use as a starting point to get it done faster and easier.

Thanks for all the clear and helpful info btw. Contrary to widespread claims, pgmfi.org doesn't really explain these fundamental things all that well...I've gotten more out of this thread today than the many nights I've spent reading at pgmfi.

start reading books. that's where all the good info is at.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Krycheck, if you dont mind me asking, how many HP did that $400 get you?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
lol, there are deals out there. ive bought 2 chipped obd1 ecus for $40-$50 in the last year, 4 ecu jumpers in the $35 range, and non-vtec dizzys for $30-$40

just be patient and ALWAYS be ready to buy when the opportunity arises

interesting. and that's the afr that made the most power or because it was conservative (anti-knock)? cause all the info I've seen 12.5 is what your shooting for on a boost app. but i think it has to do with adding a little fuel for saftey??
probably an attempt to avoid detonation. hes in the low 10s as far as compression, and is running 89 octane.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts