Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i know there are a million threads on what turbo everyone should run for hp goals/dd goals/ 1/4 goals etc. One thing i haven't seen much is what is essentially ideal for 1/8th mile. I've had hp goals in my mind the entire time i've been building my D and i'm just now coming to the conclusion, there is only an 1/8th mile track near me so i should be more concerned on something that would perform well in this platform. So i'm about to order my turbo and i'm starting to lean more towards a smaller turbo. Anyone have any inputs or mathematical reasoning on some ideal turbo sizes or 1/8th mile.

Motor is vitara/p2p rods with stock z6 head so far. I also have a golden eagle sheet metal intake i'm thinking about ditching after finding out how much tq loss one has.

Car will be moderately gutted ek sedan. I hope to be able to run mid 7's in the 1/8th while being able to drive my car to and from the track.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Im not so sure there would be much of a difference in an optimum setup between 1/4 and 1/8. Maybe if we were talking a super high power car, you may opt for a little bit smaller turbo, but most D builds are not on that level. Most of what youre going to be working on is getting the car out of the hole, and that is the same if youre going 1/4 of a mile or only 1/8.
A big turbo has no trouble overwhelming the tires in 1st gear with the help of "antilag". Size the turbo for the power you want to make, and it will spool as fast as it will. THat is all you can expect.

Basically, I think you can look to emulate these 1/4 mile builds and do well on the shorter track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not so sure there would be much of a difference in an optimum setup between 1/4 and 1/8. Maybe if we were talking a super high power car, you may opt for a little bit smaller turbo, but most D builds are not on that level. Most of what youre going to be working on is getting the car out of the hole, and that is the same if youre going 1/4 of a mile or only 1/8.
A big turbo has no trouble overwhelming the tires in 1st gear with the help of "antilag". Size the turbo for the power you want to make, and it will spool as fast as it will. THat is all you can expect.

Basically, I think you can look to emulate these 1/4 mile builds and do well on the shorter track.
I understand i just thought that perhaps the hp loss with the faster spooling compared to higher hp/slower spooling. There would be some sort of a median for 1/8th mile. As i know D's have a hard time spooling bigger turbo's.

·
Registered
A Captiva Blue Si Ha
73 Posts
basically you would really need to maximize your traction and gearing, as in absolute shortest ratio final drive and closest gear set possible, limited slip differential, minimal rotational weight (fly wheel, wheels, tires etc), traction bar and slicks (as small of diameter possible, to minimize weight and lower your effective gearing, while still maintaining traction). This car would need to focus a little less on out right horse power and more on being able to get out of the hole and stay in your powerband until close to 100mph, so a broad torque curve with horsepower in the 300 range would actually be more beneficial than a peaky torque curve with 400hp centered near the redline.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Im using a HX35 with a custom 7cm turbine housing. On a ramhorn manifold. Nitrous will take up the slack.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I'd say 50trim would work good for all around use. It won't spool until 4.5k or so, but you have enough juice to move the car, not to mention if you can get it out of the hole fast enough and stay in boost in 2nd gear. You should raise that goal to like low 7s high 6s in the 1/8 mile. You can do it! Btw, I've had the best luck with 23x8x13 slicks on stock geared d16 ex trans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts