Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy a 1/8 bspt to 1/8 npt fitting? I bought a oil line kit from stealthmode a few years ago and while inspecting it last night this fitting seems to have not been included.

I checked go-autoworks but the one they have is goldish so im assuming its brass. Also the ones on ebay loom like stainless but in the description it says brass, and im trying to avoid breakage.

Obe last question, i plan to run the adapter off the block to a T that i will install the oem sensor into and then i have a line that will run to another T on the firewall that will feed the turbo and mechanical gauge. Will i have any problems running all this off the same port? If someone has an idea for a different set up pease share!

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Have fun spending $30 on the adapter.

You can use just use a 1/8" NPT tee. Wrap the oil pressure sensor with 4-6 rounds of thread sealing tape and just screw it into the 1/8" NPT port on the tee. It'll seal just fine and if it doesn't just use a little more tape.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
McMaster-Carr
search "bspt-to-npt pipe fitting adapters"
Thanks! Ill make an order tonight after i get off this public wifi at work! +1 to you.

Have fun spending $30 on the adapter.

Brass is fine, no need for stainless.

You can use just use a 1/8" NPT tee. Wrap the oil pressure sensor with 4-6 rounds of thread sealing tape and just screw it into the 1/8" NPT port on the tee. It'll seal just fine and if it doesn't just use a little more tape.
After reading through a few threads the extra few bucks is worth the peace of mind. Thanks for the tip about the sensor into the npt T!

Block to fitting, fitting to line, then T mounted on the firewall.
Should be fine.
The fittings noemally break due to the weight and vibrations on the threads.
Thanks. I think what i might try to do is run my "firewall" line right off the adapter and then T off the firewall line so ill have 3 ports right on the firewall. Smart or stupid? I figure this way i wont have to worry about breaking anything when changing my filter.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
You can.

The way i did all this was use a sandwhich plate.
1 AN line from the fitting.
To a an AN gauge in line gauge fitting. (An male on each end and a 1/8 ntp in the middle)

Theb another AN line after this adapter to the turbo.
If i have to change the oil sending unit itsneasy to get to.
If i have to do turbo work, i can easyily disconnect the feed an remove the turbo. Even got an AN plug incase i have to run without the turbo.

But to each his own. There is more then one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Mcmaster 4860K141 for $5, McMaster-Carr

It's brass, but who's going to be looking behind there? Keep in mind most SS fittings are considered low pressure while most brass fittings are good for far more pressure. I'm not sure why, that's just how it is. Just don't crank the fitting when using teflon. It reduces friction enough where you can easily over-tighten it to the point of the block cracking. IIRC Honda actually uses Hondabond for those threads, so that's probably the better option if you have the genuine sealant.

All my future motors will have the port enlarged to 1/4" NPT to avoid stacking adapters.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can.

The way i did all this was use a sandwhich plate.
1 AN line from the fitting.
To a an AN gauge in line gauge fitting. (An male on each end and a 1/8 ntp in the middle)

Theb another AN line after this adapter to the turbo.
If i have to change the oil sending unit itsneasy to get to.
If i have to do turbo work, i can easyily disconnect the feed an remove the turbo. Even got an AN plug incase i have to run without the turbo.

But to each his own. There is more then one way to skin a cat.
So are you running the Sensor for the cluster light in its OEM position?

Mcmaster 4860K141 for $5, McMaster-Carr

It's brass, but who's going to be looking behind there? Keep in mind most SS fittings are considered low pressure while most brass fittings are good for far more pressure. I'm not sure why, that's just how it is. Just don't crank the fitting when using teflon. It reduces friction enough where you can easily over-tighten it to the point of the block cracking. IIRC Honda actually uses Hondabond for those threads, so that's probably the better option if you have the genuine sealant.

All my future motors will have the port enlarged to 1/4" NPT to avoid stacking adapters.
I don't care about how it looks I just thought that the brass would be weaker, but I had no idea about ss being lower pressure. I think I'll take your advice next time I have the block apart and tap for a larger size, thanks!

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I bought 4 from an airbrush supply place several years ago. stainless steel not brass. less than $10 with shipping.
I'll look to see if i can find where.

funny because I buy oil lines and fittings from a place that makes their own but didn't have that size fitting.
sandwich plate and stealthmode fitting both leaked for me.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Cheap SS fittings are almost always made from cast SS (brittle), while most brass fittings are from billet stock unless it's a larger fitting. Forged SS fittings can be stronger, but they cost a LOT more because of the extra expense of machining them. In any case, the brass is probably going to be stronger than the aluminum block.

As far as using a sandwich plate, 98% of them feed the turbo non-filtered oil. You want to make sure it's feed from the center hole, not the outer holes. The plate made by G.E. feed filtered oil from the center hole.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
FWIW, I was referring to the 1/8" BSPT female to 1/8" NPT male being $30. This is what would allow you to screw the OEM oil pressure gauge into the NPT tee.

The BSPT threads are very similar to NPT and will thread in far enough that it will seal well with sealing tape or Hondabond.

But certainly, do what you think is right, I just couldn't justify the $30 fitting for some reason

·
Registered
3,092 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
We have a kit coming out very soon that will allow you to have all your oil feeds fed from one specific location ( remote location off the block ) . We were sick and tired of having to deal with not only sandwich plates, but that t fitting at the back of the block. At times you could have 3-4 potential oil leaks back there and if you ever tried to get back that, its not easy.

Our kit will also eliminate the need for a sandwich plate ( for the ls/vtec guys ) and will also have an option an oil pressure sensor that can be tracked through guys running hondata s300 setups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts