Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Civic Hatch
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this idea for a while now and want to hear what you guys think before I buy the rods and pistons?

The basic setup is:

-d15b1 block (I have it)
-JDM d15b crank ( I have it)
-FJ R Spec d16 Custom I beam rods (138.633mm)
-Wiseco 8.8:1 forged D17 pistons (75.5 mm)
-A z6 head (I have it)
-boost

In the zeal compression calculator I used all stock d17 specs. and tweek'd the dome volume until I got a compression ratio of 8.82:1. I came up a dome volume of -11.10. (I'm trying to find the dish volume for the forged ones)

With a -11.10 dome volume and the setup I want to run I'll get a compression ratio of about 9.31:1.

The d17 pistons sit 0.035" out of the block but, they look like you could mill 0.035" off the top of the piston on just the outer "crown" part.

What do you guy's think? Any of my calculations off? Comments?

·
Registered
1991 Civic Hatch
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to use the 14cc dished ones for a turbo set up.

Maybe .015" off the top of the pistons? I can get them milled for free.

·
Registered
2009 tacoma 4x4
220 Posts
tried and true method is using a thicker headgasket...many times the piston will be the weak link when detonation occurs, so dont be taking off material from there.

·
Registered
1991 Civic Hatch
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking into a set of custom pistons.:yes:

This may take a bit longer than I expected because the piece of crap mini me that was in my hatch blew up... carnage pics will be posted when I get It towed home and tore apart.:dots:

I spent all of the money I had for an engine build on a 93 ex coupe.:smile:

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
custom pistons=$

·
Registered
1991 Civic Hatch
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a reply from JE Pistons and they said about $599.00 for a custom set. It's only a little bit more than the d17 Weisco pistons that I was going to buy but no super thick head gasket or milling.

I'll be ordering everything for the engine in about a month.

Rods- $339.95
Bearings- $100.00
Machine work- $250.00
pistons- about $599.99

I'm sure after I get done buying all the little stuff the engine will end up costing me about $1600

I already have a ported, built z6 head to go with the bottom end I want to build.

On a side note thanks to Transzex for saving me the headache of buying a set of pistons that wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
If you do go Wiseco, make sure you work the valve reliefs. They will crack...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts