Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been searching and trying to pull up some info , but came up blank, i remember hearing that the d15 cam gear was 1/2 tooth off from the d16? any trooth to this or did i dream it up?
planing to do a d15b8/z6 mini me....which timing belt ?

G

·
If That's True You Can Compensate With Your Ignition Timing. For Each Tooth On A Cam Gear, It's About 4 Degrees. Why Don't You Go With An Adjustable Cam Gear It's About $80 Bucks, Then You Don't Have To Worry About The 1/2 Tooth.

G

·
I just did a b7/z6 used the z6 timing belt and have decided to go with the cam gear. I would have waited to do the swap until after I had one if I would have known how crappy my car would run that far off proper timing. Are you gonna swap ECU's?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,997 Posts
testing this week will be a Y7/Y8 cam gear with a A6 cam in a D15B7 motor,

Why you ask????????

It is known that the cam timing error is 4.75 degrees (1/2 tooth) on the cam install.......
Everyone is saying the Y7/Y8 stock gears are indexed 5 degrees off th 88-95.

End result is less than .25 degree difference. You get more than that error from the crank keyway slop.

G

·
Sorry for stealing this thread but I'm about to recieve a y8 gear for my z6, it was cheap. Now with a mini-me it's already off so does the adjustment go far enough to compensate for both?

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Dysturbed_90dx_4dr said:
Are you saying you could install the cam the other direction to make up for the offset if you use the Y8 one?

Dysturbed
yeah, install the y7/y8 cam gear in at zero with an a6 cam in a by and it will run like u had a 88-95 cam gear set at 5 degrees retarded.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dr23civic - ign timing and valve timing are 2 verry different things, u cannot correct valve timing by adjusting spark
decev- yes i have a p28 on its way
joe- if all 88-95 cam gears are the same- its not the cam gear thats different, its where honda decided to position the cam gear on the cam, interesting (correct me if any of this is wrong)

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
decev said:
Mine was off 1/2 tooth. I believe the z6 head is taller than the b7.
i honestly have never heard of this problem. after all of the mini-me write ups you think i would have read it eh??? did u mill the head any or deck the block? or both??????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sohcrules / decev: there has to be a right answer, could either or you explain y your timing is how it is, weather its 1/2 a tooth off or not give some info to back it up
(im just trying to understand the y)(and whos right for that matter)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any change in distance between the two gears (cam and crank timing gears) would alter cam timing, even if u put in a thinner head gasket it would alter valve timing, weather its signefficant or not, is all how precise u want to look at it

G

·
The head had barely over 10,000 miles with no work. I'll find where I saw the statement that one head is taller than the other. Wether or not I am correct in my diagnosis the syptom remains, it's a half tooth off.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
decev said:
The head had barely over 10,000 miles with no work. I'll find where I saw the statement that one head is taller than the other. Wether or not I am correct in my diagnosis the syptom remains, it's a half tooth off.
i am sorry u r right, now that i think of it more. The b7 block is shorter than than the z6 block. so in a way its like decking the z6 block when you do a mini-me.....

so then you'd have to find out the timing difference. Decev is correct.

G

·
Thanks, I am a noob but I've built before and really try to know my sh*t before I open my mouth. On a side not, I adjusted my valves today along with timing. I was advancing the 1/2 tooth and retarding with the dizzy. I decided to retard the 1/2 tooth and advance w/dizzy. It ran better, but maybe I was off in the first place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.