Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone play around with any of these cheesy little ebay class D amps like the PAM8610 or the PAM8403?

($1.60 each) 1pc PAM8610 12V 2X15W Dual Channel Stereo Class D Digital Amplifier Modulo Board | eBay

($2.93 for 10, 30 cent amp anyone?)10pcs 2 Channel 3W DC 2 5 5V PAM8403 Digital Class D Audio Amplifier Board Beus | eBay

I read a few reviews on these and decided to grab a couple to play around with. They are really impressive for the size/price. I grabbed a pair of old Sharp 80/160w (Cp-dk257n) shelf speakers from my local goodwill for $7, and tested the 8403 with 3 AA batteries (~4.5v) and in my wifes 2007 ford escape I plugged them into my phone headphone jack and they were louder and clearer than her factory 6.1 radio. The 8610 I hooked up at home to the same speakers and a small 12v lawn and garden battery I had and they can REALLY rock.

I am not trying to say these are equal to serious hundreds of dollars car stereo amps, but they sound pretty darn good, and they are awesome for smaller projects. I am totally going to use the 8610 and the 2 shelf speakers in my CRX to make a little portable speaker set for my CRX until I can afford something decent.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I suppose you could use one of these amps with the preamp outs on a car stereo, or maybe even just the speaker outs on a real weak deck.

I am just running a stereo jack from my phone into the left, the output to the speakers is on the top and bottom, and the power and off switch is on the left.

The outputs go to 2 of these speakers from goodwill for $7:

So since I currently dont have any radio in my car I can just set those in the back, hook the amp up to keyed 12v power, and plug the stereo jack into my phone when I want music.

Most of these little amps cant be used with a common ground on the outputs, so unless your headphones have dual ground wires you would have to rewire them for use with these. These are really small speaker amps.

My next project will be to put one of the 5v PAM8403 amps in my laptop and see if it helps my sound any. I plan to just put it right inline with the speakers, and tap 5v off one of the USB ports on my motherboard, wrap the amp up in a little tape, cram it out of the way inside the case somewhere, and put it all back together.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This one is $15, but it is 50w+50w acts as a 4.0 bluetooth reciever and accepts 8-24v power input: TDA7492P 50W 50W Wireless Bluetooth 4 0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

If you can deal with only 2 speakers it does everything I would ask from a basic car stereo head unit, which is pretty much play stuff from my phone.

Toss in a set of thrift store shelf speakers and any 12v battery, perhaps 4 old cell phone batteries wired in parallel and a 12v trickle charger, or 6-16 standard 1.5v batteries (AAA-D) and you are in business for a portable setup.

Or just wire it to a 12v lighter plug and set it on your roof when you want to rock out tailgate style.

There is a few instructables around about making your own tiny boombox with various little amps.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
This one is $15, but it is 50w+50w acts as a 4.0 bluetooth reciever and accepts 8-24v power input: TDA7492P 50W 50W Wireless Bluetooth 4 0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

If you can deal with only 2 speakers it does everything I would ask from a basic car stereo head unit, which is pretty much play stuff from my phone.

Toss in a set of thrift store shelf speakers and any 12v battery, perhaps 4 old cell phone batteries wired in parallel and a 12v trickle charger, or 6-16 standard 1.5v batteries (AAA-D) and you are in business for a portable setup.

Or just wire it to a 12v lighter plug and set it on your roof when you want to rock out tailgate style.

There is a few instructables around about making your own tiny boombox with various little amps.
I bought one of the pre-made units based on this style of chip (the Lepy LP-2024a+) and bought some cheap ebay enclosures for two 4" car speakers I had laying around. with a 5/8"s port hole drilled into each it sounds pretty damn good for how small it is

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Its funny, when I see one of those, I see a "manual knock sensor board" lol!!!!

Ear buds that would fit inside of a helmet and a Bosch 3 wire knock sensor +/- w shielding. Done!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its funny, when I see one of those, I see a "manual knock sensor board" lol!!!!

Ear buds that would fit inside of a helmet and a Bosch 3 wire knock sensor +/- w shielding. Done!
Could be interesting to see how they work, hell if you were only doing one channel you could feed the outputs on one into the inputs on the next.

Dont know how well that would work, but for 30 cents each it isnt exactly a huge risk...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I used one that was basically the same thing and at the end of the day I switched back to the tube and canister method with stethoscope ear pieces. Just cant beat it, imho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts