Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as the title says, 2002 EX (D17A2) is overheating, because of the fan not coming on.

I jumped the fan off the battery, and it works.

I replaced the fan switch on the thermostat housing, and that didn't fix it.

I'm about to get a new cooling fan relay for it.

Does anyone know of any other potential causes, aside from a broken wire somewhere in the harness?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Did you jump the fan switch plug? Check the ground on the thermostat housing or where ever the engine harness ground is. If the fan doesn't come on when fan switch plug is jumped then relay could be bad or maybe a broken wire. All so check fuses. Make sure the fan relay is getting power.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't try jumping the switch plug...

The fuse is good.

And the relay felt quite warm to the touch.

I'll try jumping the switch plug too, though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the ground is good, the relay is good, and jumping the switch plug turns the fans on.

The a/c fan comes on when I turn on the a/c.

The only other possibility was that the coolant level may have been low, so I topped off the radiator and reservoir, and I'll go from there...

By the way, where is the bleeder nipple on these cars? I've not been able to find it...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, the ground is good, the relay is good, and jumping the switch plug turns the fans on.

The a/c fan comes on when I turn on the a/c.

The only other possibility was that the coolant level may have been low, so I topped off the radiator and reservoir, and I'll go from there...

By the way, where is the bleeder nipple on these cars? I've not been able to find it...
It's on the neck thing by the top rad hose. Should be a little screw thing there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so, I figured it out. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow to fix it, though.

My lower rad hose was leaking a small amount of coolant from around the upper end, where it attaches to the thermostat housing. The fan switch was also leaking a small amount from where it threads into the housing.

So, gotta replace the housing, lower hose, thermostat... The housing is on order, get here tomorrow around lunch...

So, basically, the coolant level got just low enough to where the fan switch wasn't in contact with the coolant... blows....

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Great point to address low coolant level causing issue.

though low coolant and leaks should be your first test/check for any overheating issue....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great point to address low coolant level causing issue.

though low coolant and leaks should be your first test/check for any overheating issue....
Quite true. It came on so suddenly, though, and the leak was so small, that it caught me off guard.

Yes, when you have overheating issues, check your coolant level first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts