Another try at identifying this? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Another try at identifying this?

K as some of you know I pulled my tranny out last summer to try to fix this noise. It's hard to describe. It's been bugging me and every attempt to record it has been overwhelmed by exhaust noise.

Until now.

Y8 Tranny Noise WMV, 1.68MB, via Putfile.com

Rep for anyone with fresh ideas!

I've replaced the ISB, the washers and seal next to it, the mainshaft end bearing (by 5th gear), the countershaft end ball bearing (by 5th gear), and both axle seals cuz one was bad. The replacement of the end shaft bearings did subdue the noise a little bit, but it's getting louder again.

...and I don't really want my transmission to explode from under my car when I'm up north trying to get through a blizzard.

Noise is in 5th gear ONLY. 1st thru 4th are nice and quiet as far as I'm concerned, except the whine of the final drive (that's always been there).

As for shift forks, etc., the car shifts perfectly. Yes I installed the Interlock Guide Bolt at the proper time and tightened it down with a torque wrench.

My new ideas:
-bearing inside 5th gear or its hub
-roller bearing on countershaft
-something screwed up in the reverse gear assembly when I installed it, tho that may not make total sense, it only started the noise when the sludge was dissolved away by the RP
-ruined tooth faces on the 5th gears from running dry

Gosh I want this fixed!
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

dude it seems like you have a lot of severe tranny problems....

id have to say it was a bearing or something that was associated with 5th gear alone....

p.s. im not a tranny expert.. or even beginner for that matter
Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Hmmmm... Fifth gear bearings are bad... That is the only thing I can guess... Ill wait for Bone, but that makes sense to me, man.

Last edited by Richie_A_19; 02-23-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

Previous owner never changed the fluid for 113,000 miles.
It only got changed then when the clutch was done, and the MORON who's now out of business put in 80w90 that I hadn't caught and replaced with Honda MTF until 8,000 miles later.
Sometime between 121,000 and 128,000 miles, I had an axle seal failure and lost half my fluid.

That's pretty much what caused all my problems...

PS If you can't hear the noise in the vid well, try turning up the treble, or use headphones.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatchkid96 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i would guess the needle shaft bearingfor 5th gear. number 15.

Last edited by hatchkid96; 02-22-2006 at 12:51 PM.
hatchkid96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

if 15 is bad, you'd better replace the ones for 1-2-3-4 also.

GH96: I should have quite a few spares at the house if you wanna try them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
if 15 is bad, you'd better replace the ones for 1-2-3-4 also.
Makes sense, same oil source for all

Fortunately I haven't been driving the car all that much-- just in town. Been driving the old POS Ford.

Looks to me like press work, and I don't have a press.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

a press for what?

You only need a press for diff bearings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's good news!

What's a good way to pull the mainshaft assembly apart?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

a soft hammer and a leather glove

Quote:
Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
a soft hammer and a leather glove

ky jelly
Old 02-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Isn't KY water based?? Is that safe for tranny's?
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

if its safe for anal, its safe for anything!:IHI:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in