Tranny noob-- need help swapping the differential - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Tranny noob-- need help swapping the differential

Heres my dilema, Ive got 4 89-91 si trannys laying on my garage floor. Now one of the them has good gears/synchros and a busted differential. Another one has bad gears and a good differential. Basically I want to make one working tranny out of two of em. Now, I dont have a clue in hell how to even begin taking this apart and there isnt a tranny shop within 70 miles of me that will touch for less than $300.

Sooo, which one of you esteemed tranny guru's feels like helpin a brother out or maybe suggesting a more rational price cuz I dont see how this could be hard except I dont know anything about how these go together.
RedCRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

your location?

open trannys, measure, shim, bolt back together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

im near kansas city missouri. 64093 to be exact. unfortunately, it doesnt as simple as those 4 words make it. i have the helms manual but i really just dont know where to start.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 araychel is learning the way of the Daraychel is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It really shouldn't be that hard, especially if you have the service manual. Take the cases apart per the instructions, once inside the 2 shafts lift out together so that is pretty easy. Then simply remove the diff, put it in the other tranny that you have taken apart the same way and follow the instructions in the service manual for the clearance on the diff bearings. Once that is done, put the 2 shafts back in simultaneously and finish reassembly. Again, this is pretty simplified but if you just follow the instructions it should be rather simple, you don't need a lot of special tools either: some sockets, snap ring pliers, some allen wrenches and feeler gauges should pretty much cover it. And don't forget the sealant!
araychel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 SupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaStyl Send a message via MSN to SupaStyl

I suggest not to so it. This is a highly complicated mechanism. I sugggest bitting the bullet and paying the money for a professional to do it. It will save you so much hassle in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SupaStyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 araychel is learning the way of the Daraychel is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

If you are planning on paying $300 for someone else to do it, then you might as well just buy a rebuilt tranny from Bone and sell some of yours.
araychel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

hmm, i need to look at the manual again, im still debating what im gonna do.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 kyle is learning the way of the Dkyle is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kyle

you have two busted trannies sitting there, if you fuck them up you still have two busted trannies, and if you get in over your head they can still put it back together for that 300 if you have the parts, might as well learn something
Old 02-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

good point bro...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 pork is learning the way of the Dpork is learning the way of the D

yeah man , you might as well give it a shot . cant hurt .
pork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

soo ive been lookin at these two trannies and it seems like as long as im careful enough to keep the mainshaft gears all in one assembly and dont take the lock nut off the other set of gears then ill be fine right? basically i just pull out the busted diff and drop in the new one correct?

After doing some reading of the helms and looking at the tranny itself, it doesnt really look all that difficult.

Now once I get this all back together how can I be sure its going to work, how do I test the gears to see if they are going to engage properly?

I really appreciate the positive input Ive gotten on this subject you guys kick ass!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 kyle is learning the way of the Dkyle is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to kyle

the input shaft will be able to turn when its together, i just got done putting mine togehter and it wont turn, i have to go back and replace a shim with a smaller one, just have to find out which one!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatchkid96 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

or, you can just put it back in, hold the throttle wide open and crank it!
hatchkid96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in