Obx Lsd/ Infinitude Fd - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatchkid96 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Obx Lsd/ Infinitude Fd

alright, for you guys who are interested in buying these products. im still in the process of getting it complete.. im on the last step toward installing tranny in my car.

OBX-LSD
the dif came in, looked fine. had some new diff bearings pressed on it. CAUTION the bolts that hold the diff together, seemed to be cross threaded. they were crooked and sticking out so much that it was rubbing againt the bearing. to fix this, without removing(destroying the diff bearing). i ground down the bolts enough to where the bearing could spin on its self... this caused metal to go inside the bearing... (thank god for disel fuel). While installing the FD.. it was impossible to fit a socket of any kind on the FD bolts to tighten them to 72 lbs because the diff is so wide. the good news was that i didnt have to shim the diff... luckily it wasnt too horrible.

INFINITUDE-FD
The Infinitude FD & countershaft looks immaculet! the machining on it is really nice... so far the only problem was with the bolts connecting to the diff... but i already explained that. the countershaft (included withthe FD) is going to be shorter than stock. i belive by .002-.004 im going to find out today forsure.

OBX LSD = damn near almost not worth buying if you have the time, and patience and want to save 600 bucks... then its worth it. the best advice i could give you if you purchase one, is to really look closely at the bolts on it and do the grinding BEFORE the bearing goes on it.

INFINITUDE FD = So far a great buy! justmake sure you check the shimage, forsure.

after i find out what shim i need for the countershaft, i have to pull it apart again and take out the 5th gear ( im using si gears with a dx 5th... i didnt have an ex tranny laying around and i didnt want to buy one since i had all the parts neccessary to make one...) the 5th gear doesnt seem to line up and it locks when you hand turn the main shaft... so fuck it, im just gonna put the si 5th back in... unless the shim would raise it up just enough... but im not going to get my hopes up for it. annyyy who, theres a lot of speculation about the tranny... ie: obx diff's poor quality... but im really hoping this will work because it will be a decent and not too expensive tranny in then end. if it fucks up... then im going to talk hella shit about obx.

im going to take pics later on tonight and post them up for yall who care.

wish me luck.
hatchkid96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

countershaft does have a shim

Also, spinning the shafts without having the countershaft locked into place, sometimes the 1st gear will rub on the ring gear, also check to be sure your not stuck in 2 gears at once.

What is the teeth count on the two 5th gears?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
countershaft does have a shim

Also, spinning the shafts without having the countershaft locked into place, sometimes the 1st gear will rub on the ring gear, also check to be sure your not stuck in 2 gears at once.

What is the teeth count on the two 5th gears?
yeah i know the counter shaft does, i meant the main shaft. make sure it all fits just fine.

oh yeah, i forgot. first gear actually rubs on the diff. but barely, so when it gets fired up, im sure itll be fine by then. i dont believe its anything to fret about.

all the gears are in neutral.

5th gear = .702 counted the first time btw, for the fd & pinion... fd=69 pinion=14

when i was checking the gearing by spinning it, it sounds like something was grinding, it turned out to be first gear on the diff .... kept doing it for a while, it wore it down enough. now theres a whinning sound. after looking it over pretty good, it seems to be the whole pinion and fd. this tranny is going to be loud, in a good way! my cars gonna sound like it has a diesel tranny in there. ha ha.

anywho, i went to go get the main shaft measured, while i was there, i told vernon (raver motor sports in visalia california) [incase you might know him] that the5th gear for the main shaft wasnt lining up correctly, it was below the counter shafts 5th gear spot. so the measuring was pointless. so i gotta take the main shaft back with the dx gears and the si gears so he can measure and "make it work." hes also going to bolt down that god forsaken diff to the FD. he says he "knows the right way to do it". supposidly you use a timing belt or what ever.

anyway-again, im going to ditch my other classes take the tranny apart, take some pix, and box up the parts.

Last edited by hatchkid96; 02-19-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

are you steve's buddy with the blue hatch? if so we met the other day.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D

want to see pics
Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX
are you steve's buddy with the blue hatch? if so we met the other day.
i have the primmered black eg. im steves brother-in-law, Aaron. who are you/what do you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
want to see pics:
im gonna take the tranny apart around... 9:30 ish when i get out of my class. then pics, pics, pics, and some more pics.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have a OBX waiting to be installed as soon as I get my hands on the right final drive. Be it a 4.43 or a 4.71
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I have a OBX waiting to be installed as soon as I get my hands on the right final drive. Be it a 4.43 or a 4.71

check out the infinitude fd's, pretty cheap. there was a good deal going around on honda-tech. see if that guy can still hook you up.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

are you sure that it's 69/16? cause that's 4.3125
bense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense
are you sure that it's 69/16? cause that's 4.3125

thanks for the correrction. 16 is the ammount of teeth on a stock pinion. and 14 is the amount of teeth on the infinitude pinion. i forgot the fd itself has the same amount of teeth, (being that it would have been difficult to make a larger fd since its already a tight spot) and the pinion is the one that changed.

thanks again for noticing
Old 02-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchkid96
i have the primmered black eg. im steves brother-in-law, Aaron. who are you/what do you drive?
you know who i am yet? ask steve he knows.
anyways how much shaving on the diff bolts did he have to do? Kirk(siguy2) ground down that one bolts that pops up and it's still hitting the damn casing.
so i guess i have to wait till he gets back from his trip to get my tranny back in, and enojy LSD
Old 02-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

okay, sorry about the delay. here are the pics of the tranny, lsd, and fd. (sorry, i took the pics with too good of quality and i would have made this post like 10 pages long.) here are the links to the pics. if you want to see the maximized version of the pic, just put the cursor over it till the little icon pops up in the bottom right corner of the pic (incase you didnt know)

Gears with the top of the tranny off

The main & counter shaft... you can see how the main shaft is offset a little (in process of fixing)

Close up pic of the diff. you can see the bolt on the left is crooked and the other bolt has been ground down. we had to grind down a total of 3 bolts all together so far.

Trying to use a impact socket on the nut.. will not fit, trust me. the diff housing is too wide

The normal socket BARELY fits as you can see. it gets even wider on the bottom

Im taking the tranny to vernons shop (raver motor sports in Visalia, cali) tomorrow to have him fix the 5th gear, torque the diff to the fd, and measure the main shaft so we can order the shims for it.

also, i just thought of this right now, since the bearings were pressed before we took the grinder to the bolts, im gonna see if the bearings need to be pressed again. we might have to grind it again.

anywho, time will only tell if this Frankenstein project will be a success or a costly learning experience.

Last edited by hatchkid96; 02-19-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
you know who i am yet? ask steve he knows.
anyways how much shaving on the diff bolts did he have to do? Kirk(siguy2) ground down that one bolts that pops up and it's still hitting the damn casing.
so i guess i have to wait till he gets back from his trip to get my tranny back in, and enojy LSD
yeah steve told me who you were.

well.. if we had noticed the bolts before we got the bearings pressed, we would have shaved it all down till they were all the same size. but since we had the bearing pressed first, we just shaved it a little more than we needed just to make sure it wouldnt touch.

what do you mean the bolt is hitting the casing. the casing to the bearing?

i just wish obx wouldnt be so cheap in making their lsd's but i suppose you get what you pay for in this case.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 araychel is learning the way of the Daraychel is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

pics don't work
araychel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by araychel
pics don't work
thanks a lot for noticing how horrible http://www.imagehosting.com is. never use it, spread the word.

alright, pics updated -enjoy.

Last edited by hatchkid96; 02-18-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

try www.photobucket.com for image hosting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Quote:
Close up pic of the diff. you can see the bolt on the left is crooked and the other bolt has been ground down. we had to grind down a total of 3 bolts all together so far.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...G/P2170022.jpg

the bolt in the center is the one on mine, that even after being ground down, still hits.
Kirk didn't notice until the bearings were pressed on at Omar's. but all in all this car outta be fun, and accelerate like it's suppsoed to
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
the bolt in the center is the one on mine, that even after being ground down, still hits.
i would be cautious. if you want, hit up steve and he can grind it down for you even though the bearing has been pressed on.

everything went pretty good today at vernons. the main shaft should be fine and the gears lined up fine. the only thing is was the FD. when the fd was made, they kinda cut it a little deeper than on stock FD's.... the problem was that there was a little lip and the bolt didnt quite want to fit in there. but the problem was nothing, after we tightened it, it fit nice n snug.

the bolts for the fd next to the diff were a pain, the easiest way we found to do it was to rotate the socket (a slim socket) till it went in nice n easy. you have to use that same side so that it fits all the way around all the bolts. i guess its just a abnormality in the sockets construction. but over all this little project has been interesting and seems to be going fine now. all i need is a p2e ecu and i can get this shit started!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Quote:
i would be cautious. if you want, hit up steve and he can grind it down for you even though the bearing has been pressed on.
!
trans is at Kirk's, he can do it just have to be patient. besides i need to go to the store and get my beer so i can be motiveted to finish other things i have for the car
Old 02-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
trans is at Kirk's, he can do it just have to be patient. besides i need to go to the store and get my beer so i can be motiveted to finish other things i have for the car

dude, wtf. did you hear about the racing in corcoran last night (friday)? anywho, me and steve went out there tonight with the black turbo ek coup, and nobody was out there. (it wasnt raining as hard as it is now...) but anyway, a cop came out there and said that 3 people died the night before from racing at the corcoran strip. the strip is fucked, popped for like 3-4 months. sucks, finaly we get a better strip than the jacked up one out on 14 1/2 and it gets ruined.

btw, can you ask kirk if he has any 92-95 obd1 manual ex si p28's laying around that he might want to sell? thanks

Last edited by hatchkid96; 02-19-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in