Transmission Noise! Help Please! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
slprcivic

Question Transmission Noise! Help Please!

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX (d16y7). When I let off my clutch in neutral, the transmission gets really loud, but then when I step on it, it's quiet. What the heck is that? Today, I bought a y8 tranny, hopefully replacing it with the new one will take care of the noise. Am I right? Help me out folks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ISB

Input Shaft Bearing

$35 in parts, $100 including parts + gas to/fro Cbus for me to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to " Low " Send a message via Yahoo to " Low "

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
ISB

Input Shaft Bearing

kickass deal right there..better jump on it...
lol

My username: High-Cap 1911
It ain't only for texans....but there are a BUNCH of us
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

hell yes it is... Bone is the man! lol

BTW, welcome to the site... Where in Columbus?
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have the exact same problem. I just had this fixed by Honda under warranty about 10K ago, but now my car is turbo'd and I'm sure they will not fix it again.
Looks like I'll be following this thread.
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14079
TheWrai6th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
slprcivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
ISB

Input Shaft Bearing

sounds like one hell of deal. like i said though, i just bought my y8 tranny today, so if i swap trannys, wouldn't the noise go away or is the isb a completely different thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_A_19
hell yes it is... Bone is the man! lol

BTW, welcome to the site... Where in Columbus?
thanks. eastside of columbus. whitehall/reynoldsburg area.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprcivic
sounds like one hell of deal. like i said though, i just bought my y8 tranny today, so if i swap trannys, wouldn't the noise go away or is the isb a completely different thing?
unless you change the isb while the tranny is out, then you would be in the same boat and out the labor of changing a tranny.....!

Last edited by " Low "; 02-15-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
slprcivic

ok, so the isb is in the tranny. it's not something most people would take off right? the guy i bought the tranny from said it had 73k on it and is in excellent condition, so most likely, if i swap trannys, the isb would be replaced as well, right?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano

The ISB is the Input Shaft Bearing... It is the bearing that the input shaft rides on, therefore it wouldn't get changed unless you break the tranny open. If the tranny is out anyways, I honestly would 1)change all the bearings in it before you put it in, or 2)have Bone come up here and do it for you... That way you KNOW the internals are good so you don't have any problems later. I would be willing to bet Bone would even install the Y8 tranny for you.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

i just realized i left some words out of my post...lol
yes the input shaftbearing is in the crank/flywheel if you dont change it no matter what tranny it will keep doing it....!

Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

Pull half the front end of your car apart, put a BUNCH of stuff on jacks, pull the axles, pull the tranny, split the thing, pull out the final drive/ both shafts/ shift forks, drive old ISB out from the clutch housing, replace the seal, put in new ISB, put new washers on mainshaft, put on liquid gasket/hondabond, install everything in proper order INCLUDING that blasted interlock guide bolt, put everything back in car.

^^^that's why its a good deal, unless you find a torn motor mount and a bad lower ball joint like me.

And its much cheaper than having the thing explode on you. I should be able to tell how bad that is when my noisy bearing in 5th finally blows, whichever one it is. Had it apart twice, replaced three bad bearings so far, still noisy as heck...
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
slprcivic

ok, correct me if i'm wrong..... if i replace my Y7 tranny with the new Y8 tranny assuming that it is in good condition, my car will still have the same isb problem?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

yes the isb is in the engine (clutch/flywheel) not the tranny

Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
ok, correct me if i'm wrong..... if i replace my Y7 tranny with the new Y8 tranny assuming that it is in good condition, my car will still have the same isb problem?
if you do this you will have a noisy, faster accelerating car

Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
slprcivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low EG-T
if you do this you will have a noisy, faster accelerating car
haha. alright, i got it now.
so i got a question for tranzex; how much would you want to install the y8 tranny, isb, clutch and flywheel for? i would already have the tranny, clutch and flywheel. i would need you to get the isb and other necessary parts. oh yeah, how much price difference from me going there and you coming here.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
haha. alright, i got it now.
how much price difference from me going there and you coming here.
go to him he has the knowledge, tools and resources there.....you on the other hand ....have problems....lol j/k'n

Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
slprcivic

haha. alright. thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
slprcivic

oh yeah, one more thing. out of curiosity, how does the isb go bad? and is it something i should really worry about right now? haha, can something blow up?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

"oh yeah, one more thing. out of curiosity, how does the isb go bad? and is it something i should really worry about right now? haha, can something blow up?"

+1

I don't want to do this every 10K..
TheWrai6th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

It is a bearing.... they go bad.... No real reason that it happens sometimes... It is like an altenator... Yours can last 250,000 miles, or 40,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in