act 4puck clutch with oem axles? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default act 4puck clutch with oem axles?

I just put an act 4puck racing clutch and an xtreme pressure plate on my car and i was wondering if its safe to use this clutch with stock 96-00ex axles on a 96hb with a d16y8. I've had it in for about 2 weeks now and i was wondering if this is safe cause i cant really shift without double clutching when im racing someone from a dead stop cause if i do everytime i let off on the clutch fast it sounds like(im guessing its my axles making the sound) my axles want to snap in half.
drunknEK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to " Low " Send a message via Yahoo to " Low "

prolly not , but then again i have seen oems being abused at 600 hp for quite a while

My username: High-Cap 1911
It ain't only for texans....but there are a BUNCH of us
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low EG-T
prolly not , but then again i have seen oems being abused at 600 hp for quite a while
600hp out of a d16y8?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

be careful with the differential, you'll snap that thing in no time with that clutch. All that power has to go somewhere. I wonder how long one would last if slicks were used. hah that'd be fun to try with a vx tranny
bense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense
be careful with the differential, you'll snap that thing in no time with that clutch. All that power has to go somewhere. I wonder how long one would last if slicks were used. hah that'd be fun to try with a vx tranny
Can u get different differentials....stronger ones i mean? If so what kinda would u recommend?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatchkid96 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default difs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknEK9
Can u get different differentials....stronger ones i mean? If so what kinda would u recommend?
if you arnt willing to spend over 1k, you dont want to know the answer to that one. although... you could probably pick up some stock open diffs pretty cheap. if you try to buy a diff from honda its like 500+ bucks. your best bet would be to pick up a broken tranny or buy one thats already taken apart... like from me!
hatchkid96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

do you have a mount kit? you shouldn't worry too much i've seen people driev everyday on full face sintered iron clutches and be fine
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX
do you have a mount kit? you shouldn't worry too much i've seen people driev everyday on full face sintered iron clutches and be fine
Whats a mount kit? U mean like motor mounts? No but im about to get the energy suspension motor mounts or the inserts.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to " Low " Send a message via Yahoo to " Low "

Quote:
quaife.....hands down, next in line the obx.....

My username: High-Cap 1911
It ain't only for texans....but there are a BUNCH of us
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Whats a mount kit? U mean like motor mounts? No but im about to get the energy suspension motor mounts or the inserts.
yeah motor mount kit sorry. don't bother with the ES kit just break out with a mount kit and be done.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
nobody makes a stronger open differential it's just pointless. Most LSDs are significantly stronger than the stock differential
bense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Potato salad!

Rep Power: 15 spoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to all

Is it a short squealing sound? That'd be your clutch not engaging correctly. You shouldn't need to double clutch a setup like that. It just takes the proper timing. I've been living with a ACT stage 4 for the last three years. If you really want hell, try taking a drag clutch into San Francisco.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX
yeah motor mount kit sorry. don't bother with the ES kit just break out with a mount kit and be done.
What kind of motor mount kit do u think i should get then? Post a link or somethin. thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonfed
Is it a short squealing sound? That'd be your clutch not engaging correctly. You shouldn't need to double clutch a setup like that. It just takes the proper timing. I've been living with a ACT stage 4 for the last three years. If you really want hell, try taking a drag clutch into San Francisco.
Nope no squealing noises. And it is a drag clutch san fransisco traffic is probably alot worse but i have to drive to nashville every morning and they're traffic isnt to great.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope no squealing noises. And it is a drag clutch san fransisco traffic is probably alot worse but i have to drive to nashville every morning and they're traffic isnt to great.
I might live in KY, but I can tell you that it isn't the traffic he's talking about. It's the hills. Son-of-a-bitch they got some hills. Try taking off up a 30 degree incline in a lightweight, FWD car with an axle snapper of a clutch. By the way, TCI automotive used to make d-series axles rated to like 250 hp.
ONECAMWONDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONECAMWONDER
I might live in KY, but I can tell you that it isn't the traffic he's talking about. It's the hills. Son-of-a-bitch they got some hills. Try taking off up a 30 degree incline in a lightweight, FWD car with an axle snapper of a clutch. By the way, TCI automotive used to make d-series axles rated to like 250 hp.
Yea i realized the driving he was talking about after i got done. I was looking into getting the fidanze axle....maybe, they make d-series' also.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Potato salad!

Rep Power: 15 spoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONECAMWONDER
Bingo! My sister lives in downtown San Fran. Man, some of those hills are evil. Taking off from a stand still gets wheel spin, stalling or the horrible squeal from not letting it engage properly. I can live with regular stop an go traffic, but the hills are the primary reason I plan to get rid of this clutch. I'm taking it one step down. I find it's harder on my tranny too for a daily driver. Trying to make it engage smoothly is more work than dragging it on the strip.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonfed
Trying to make it engage smoothly is more work than dragging it on the strip.
I heard that....
Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatchkid96 has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Yea i realized the driving he was talking about after i got done. I was looking into getting the fidanze axle....maybe, they make d-series' also.

save your money, d series axels can hold up to 500hp or so... theres many of guys where i live running 350, 400, 450, 480, 500+ on their stock axels... now the 500+ broke them twice, but thats under extreme conditions... your type of driving will be fine with stock ones. if your going to waste money on buying some axels, just waste your money by sending me a check for 400 bucks.

your stock differential will be fine, trust me. if you want to upgrade to something else, check out my post about the obx diffs... it depends on how much money you want to spend. if you use the money you were going to spend on new axels, you can really take a good chunk out of the quaiffe price.
hatchkid96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

I have an Action 6-puck unsprung with Advanced axles. Only broken one (reverse donut, snapped spline in half inside of differential).
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in