Swapping internals out of a EG8 gearbox. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Swapping internals out of a EG8 gearbox.

Here's my dilema, I've did bearings and seals on my gearbox less than 1000 miles ago and I don't really want to dump it, but the synchro's are severly FUCKED. (grates every gear, no matter how you baby it)

I picked up a complete gearbox also from an EG8 94, (mines a 92 with a 97 gearbox in) however the bearings are shot on this one as well as the sump plug is stripped. However he just had the synchro's done very recently.

What I want to do is to keep my tranny and just take the complete mainshaft/ shift fork assembly and the gearsets and drop it into mine.

Can this be done, I don't want to sit with two tranny's that both have opposite problems at the end of the day where I can rather build up on decent one out of the two and then dump the rest, (and maybe just keep the gear-sets as spares)

Buying new synchro's by the way is out of the question as it's too expensive and I say in shit creek, sticksville, South Africa.

Advice?
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

Just got some feedback from a friend who recommended NOT doing this as the bearing sets would have to be replaced as well. However he suggested that I just remove the synchro's from the good shaftset and put them on mine....

anyone?

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

#1, not the synchros, you should know that by now.

Next question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2006, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

#1. I've been to 3 mechanics 2 from honda and all say it's the synchro's
Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

did they measure the shifter fork tip thickness for wear.........

or use a feeler gauge between the back of the synchro and gear face?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
bspeed

^^^^^^probably not!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

ok, here's the deal, the car's at the mechanic as we speak. Will be able to tell you everything in about the next 4 hours.

So trans, why do you insist that it can't be the synchro's, if anything I've heard that they're usually the first to go on the D-series boxes, am I wrong?

Also if it was the clutch fork, wouldn't that affect ALL the gears and not just the 2nd to 3rd like mine did at first?

I'm all up for learning about this, I just want to know if what I've been told was BS.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

i know it's hard to diagnose over the internet... but to give you a comparison:

my Si transmission was bought over eBay and it was obvious the thing was severely abused. Dirty as hell and the main shaft rattled like a bitch when I turned it. I open it up and it's full of metal shavings, black crap, and a broken shifter fork piece. The main bearings had disintegrated to the point that the inner collar was held on by maybe half of the ball bearings left. One of the gears towards the bottom of the main shaft had score marks along the middle... like something (broken fork) had hit it a couple times.

This transmission had been abused!

BUT, the synchros were almost perfect. Compared them to the pics in the Helms manual and they still had their perfect shape. So, cleaning the transmission, replacing the broken fork, replacing the bearings, and filing the scratch marks on the gear made this tranmission run perfectly in my car.

Sooooo... i'd have to doubt the synchros went bad.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Thanks makku, well I've forwarded on info to my mate who's currently stripping the gearbox and he said it's food for thought.......guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

SHIFT FORK, not clutch fork.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Only damaged synchro I've ever had, due to 1-2 shifter fork breakage

with half the fork missing, the synchro sleeve doesn't engage evenly.

pieces of broken 1-2 shifter fork

on a 92-95 fork, Honda added a third "pad" which also will break. This usually leads to a "light" grind on 2-3 or 3-2 shifts....

shift forks and input shaft bearing, two most common failure points. If anything else fails, it is usually terminal for the tranny.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

ok.

shift fork, shift fork shift fork shift fork.

Firstly, thanks for the patience
secondly, thanks even more for the pictures.
thirdly, thanks for the patience

Well the gearbox is out and partially stripped, I didn't have time to go over last night to look at it, but he says that there is wear on my shift fork and that the synchro's look ok, but he's only going to strip it totally over the weekend. (I'm getting it done for free btw, hence the slow service.)

Question Trans...........?

Can I take out the shift fork and replace it with the 2nd hand spare unit that I have? Any fitting issues with cross swapping this part???

Last edited by flatfourfan; 02-06-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

you can't mix and match transmission parts easily from the different years (EG vs EK). The forks in your EK transmission are steel and are probably bent if they are causing the grinding. You'd have to buy new ones. The ones in the spare tranny are the same as in transzex's pictures... aluminum... those just break.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
you can't mix and match transmission parts easily from the different years (EG vs EK). The forks in your EK transmission are steel and are probably bent if they are causing the grinding. You'd have to buy new ones. The ones in the spare tranny are the same as in transzex's pictures... aluminum... those just break.
Bugger, I knew that this was too good to be true. New ones are WAY out my price range locally.......guess I'm going to have to look at another decent used gearbox if the shift fork is indeed the cause of the problems. I'll only be able to see tonight.

Thanks makku.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Can you have someone buy them here and ship them to you? I'll do it if you want...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

they are $60 USD + shipping to me, what is the USD conversion to what they are asking in Pretoria?

Shipping would be SLOW. But if the are THAT $$$ in S. Africa, I can help on the shipping.

If you can access another 92-95 tranny (VX ) you can swap the whole shifter fork assembly ASSUMMING it is good. I usually try to keep a repaired assembly on hand using a new 1-2 fork, makes repairs alot quicker.

But I'm broke and none in stock.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
they are $60 USD + shipping to me, what is the USD conversion to what they are asking in Pretoria?

Shipping would be SLOW. But if the are THAT $$$ in S. Africa, I can help on the shipping.

If you can access another 92-95 tranny (VX ) you can swap the whole shifter fork assembly ASSUMMING it is good. I usually try to keep a repaired assembly on hand using a new 1-2 fork, makes repairs alot quicker.

But I'm broke and none in stock.
lol, that's translates into $60 = R360 which is NOTHING, I was quoted this morning on about R1760 = $300 US.

I tried to go look last night, but they were busy working on a clients car and my stripped gearbox was locked away for the night.

The tranny in the car at the moment is a 96-00 unit, so I'd obviously be looking for a decent shifter unit from the same year??? right? I'm going to try that first before trying overseas...........worst case scenario, I'll pick up on in the states when I'm there in 3 weeks time.....

I guess I'm just going to build up the 92-95 box that I have (needs bearings and new sump plug) and keep that as a spare as my wifes car has the same tranny.

Thanks makku for the offer and you trans for the info...
Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

make sure you order parts in advance for whatever dealership you intend to pick it up at.... they generally don't stock parts like that and it will take a few days to arrive.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2006, 03:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

I'm over there for almost a month, so it should be ok, plus I may have picked up a shift fork.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

hope you got the right one... all 3 are different shapes.

edit: well, in the 92-95 they're all different. Don't know about the 96-00

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

we'll see tonight when I FINALLY get to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in