HX CVT to EX auto... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 achilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default HX CVT to EX auto...

This is for the tranny gods out there... I've done the Y5 to Y8 head swap, and before I put in the ECU (from a 99 EX auto- and yes I have the wiring harness) and dizzy.. anyone know if its going to work with my HX's CVT tranny? Is there a way to make it work, or do I have to get a 99 EX auto tranny to make it work? This is getting finished sometime in the next couple months and I'd like to know one way or the other beforehand.. (2 of brothers-in-law are mechanics, and can try to make it work, but I want to know if its possible first).. Also I noticed that HX auto DOESN'T have an IACV on the back of IM like the manual and the EX auto/manual.. will that also be a problem?

RIP 98 HX project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
achilles1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I believe the CVT uses a different and UNIQUE frame mount...........your going in for one big headache!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 achilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Boratachilles1981 smells like Borat

That much i figured... I just want to know if its possible. From what I read in helms about it, it appears that a lot of different systems work with or based on input from the CVT... so I'm asking what I'd need to make it work, or if it would be cheaper to just get all the parts that are different from the EX

RIP 98 HX project

Old 01-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

cheaper to sell the car than try to re-engineer the car.

Honda dealerships are not even allowed to open the CVT's, just swap them out. The damaged CVT's are sent to the Anna or MArysville OH tranny plant to be rebuilt.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

doesn't the cvt tranny actually make your car faster than a normal 4speed auto? I mean, i hear the cvt tranny is a nightmare for service, but if it performs better, and if it isn't broken...

Last edited by bense; 01-22-2006 at 05:40 PM.
bense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
cheaper to sell the car than try to re-engineer the car.

Honda dealerships are not even allowed to open the CVT's, just swap them out. The damaged CVT's are sent to the Anna or MArysville OH tranny plant to be rebuilt.
I suppose I'm not really asking the question right.. I want to know if anyone has ANY IDEA what will happen when I try this? I already know about the complexities of the CVT and that it would be easier/cheaper to just get a new car, is there any other pertinent info? Or is this all uncharted territory? Can I get the CVT to work with the P2P ECU? What problems can I expect to run into?

RIP 98 HX project
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

CVT has it's own ECU...........and TCU........

sell the car or return it to stock.........this info is coming from techs at Honda R&D in Ohio..........

Quote:
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes

is the cvt(auto) to manual tranny swap possible on HX's?

I believe CVTs are the future of transmissions, I can't wait for this technology to be perfected.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i wonder if a bone stock cvt hx is faster than a hx with ex tranny
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense
i wonder if a bone stock cvt hx is faster than a hx with ex tranny
Doubtful. I drove a CVT HX at school and it was slower than balls.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 d16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Couldn't you just use the HX ecu and a separate Vtec controller?

d16rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I guess we'll find out in April... if there is a way WE WILL FIND IT, if not, well at least we'll know why it doesn't work instead of people just saying it won't work. Best case, we have EX with CVT, worst case, we have to put everything back the way it was.

RIP 98 HX project
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

Quote:
CVT has it's own ECU...........and TCU........

sell the car or return it to stock.........this info is coming from techs at Honda R&D in Ohio..........

im sure if anyone heere knows its this guy
im guessing from what he says youll be wasting you time

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Hanging out at the dealership has it advantages

Quote:
Old 02-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb34
im sure if anyone heere knows its this guy
im guessing from what he says youll be wasting you time
maybe... but no one says WHY it won't work, just that it won't... I'm sorry transzex, but I just can't accept that there's no way to make it work without trying it first. I was just hoping you help me out with the why so we'd know what we have to work around. know what I mean?

RIP 98 HX project
Old 02-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Well, guess I'll have to steal 2-3 Honda manuals from the dealership

Quote:
Old 02-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 SLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Well, guess I'll have to steal 2-3 Honda manuals from the dealership
What do you need I can get it now!
SLO SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I still have yet to understand why anyone would want to do this. Maybe if the cvt was broken. but still. CVT is superior to the 4speed auto IMO Or if you were swapping to a 5speed, etc.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

the CVT's can't handle much power..........

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in